Canucks Abroad May 24th

Gian-Luca

Stalteri has started in midfield for Bremen, while De Guzman has started in the back four for Hannover - yet another Canadian offensive player being turned into a defender at the club level?

Both matches are 0-0 in the first half.

There is a live audio webcast for both matches at bundesliga.de

"All them rock & roll writers are the worst kind of sleaze, selling punk like some new kind of English disease. Is that the wave of the future? Awww spare me please!" Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage (1979).

Guest Jeffery S.

More from May 24

And the 23rd, as posted on other board Adam Braz played 90 and took an early yellow as Vasteras won handily in Sweden 2nd tier yesterday.

Srdjan Djekanovic slated to be on bench for last game of season for Radnicki Obrenovac, away to Red Star Belgrade. Need points, as relegation rival Rad is home to OFK Belgrade, a team fighting for a Uefa spot. Starting right now, 5PM European time.

La Louvière plays this evening in their last game of the season, Belgian Cup match is next week.

Hibs playing now, as is Livingston in Scotland. Hearts goes tomorrow, fortunately not vs. either Rangers or Celtic.

Hutchinson faces off vs. Pozniak and maybe Budalic if he gets time, Osters-Orebro tomorrow in Sweden.

Norway goes tomorrow as well.

Monday Uniao Leiria plays Boavista.

Tuesday is the promotion final for Sheffield Utd, c'mon Pesch.

More to come.

Guest Jeffery S.

Both Stalteri and de Guzman played 90 for their teams. Bremen lost 4-1 to Moengengladbach and with Hertha's win is out of UEFA, they needed to win.

Hannover beat Bielefeld away 0-1 on a late goal, as G-L mentioned looks like de Guzman was on the back line, odd. Bielefeld really needed a win to have any chance of avoiding relegation, though in the end even that would not have been enough as their rivals got points today. Bielefeld, Nurnberg and Cottbuss all relegated.

I see neither Xausa nor Fenwick on for their teams in Scotland. Hibs are drawing with Partick with ten min to go 2-2, Motherwell is killing Livi 5-2.

Imhof has played 90 in a key 1-0 win today, with Luzern's loss to Aarau they are officially back in the championship division for next season along with Aarau.

Radnicki Obrenovac is drawing Red Star but rival Rad is up 2-0 over OFK in the first half, a result that would relegate Obrenovac on goal difference.

Guest Jeffery S.

Radnicki Obrenovac, Srdjan's team, was saved in the dying second of the season from relegation as OFK Belgrade scored vs. promotion rival RAD in extra time to draw them 2-2 after being down by two. OFK needed the points to get an UEFA spot, which they did. With the one point RAD could not catch Obrenovac, even though the latter lost 1-0 away to Red Star.

Srdjan's contract is up in June. He is not sure he wants to continue with the team since the starting keeper is a veteran who is also captain, he thinks he won't play next season. I think it sounds like not a bad place to be, young keepers have to be patient for a break to play top flight, if you insist on starting when you're 19 it likely means playing a much lower level.

Finals in Scotland Partick scored late to beat Hibs, no Fenwick, and no Xausa for Livi who lost 6-2 to Motherwell away. Reports for the Hearts game tomorrow say McKenna cannot play due to suspension for yellows, no mention of injury as reported for our national call-up.

Confirmed that St. Gallen is back in top division for next season with their 0-1 win today over Sion. Someone mentioned that their game for next weekend was rescheduled and that was why he could be called for Canada. In fact it is still listed for the 1st of June vs. Lucern. If St Gallen had lost today and Luzern won it would have been a vital match for both to get into the top division for fall 2003, so I am not sure about the call-up at all. Seems to me there was a conflict and the problem was only solved today with the Gallen win.

So, with these results, how many Canadian players that will be available for WCQ, are playing top flight soccer?

Stalteri

DeGuzman

Radzinski

Hirschfeld (well, sort of)

Jazic

And maybe Pesch.

Reza

What about McKenna, Fenwick, and Xausa (SPL),

De Rosario and Onstad (MLS), and Klukowski (Belgium)?

Guess that depends on your defn. of "top flight" ...

Wink ;)

quote:Originally posted by Reza

So, with these results, how many Canadian players that will be available for WCQ, are playing top flight soccer?

Stalteri

DeGuzman

Radzinski

Hirschfeld (well, sort of)

Jazic

And maybe Pesch.

Reza

;););)

Guest Jeffery S.

Michael Klukowski played 90 as La Louvière beat Mons-Bergen 1-0 in the final match of the season. Les Loups end up in lower mid table.

Next week they have the Cup final vs. St.Trond or Truid depending on what language you are speaking.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

What about McKenna, Fenwick, and Xausa (SPL),

De Rosario and Onstad (MLS), and Klukowski (Belgium)?

And Imhof, as Jeffrey posted St. Gallen has qualified to stay in the top tier in Switzerland.

Add Pozniak, Budalic, Hutchinson (Sweden) and Reda (Norway) if the criteria is top-tier leagues of soccer nations.

You could also add Aguiar, depending on whether he is or isn't in our current player pool.

I wonder how many more will be added for next season - Canizalez? Nsaliwa?

"All them rock & roll writers are the worst kind of sleaze, selling punk like some new kind of English disease. Is that the wave of the future? Awww spare me please!" Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage (1979).

For what its worth, De Guzman was given the top marks for his team on the day, along with a few of his teammates - 3 (1 being the highest, 6th being the lowest) by the Bundesliga site. Stalteri was also given a decent mark of 3.5 (considering his team lost 4-1) and received a yellow card. Bremen's problems in this match seemed to stem from another defender getting red-carded in the 45th minute.

Looking forward to seeing both players start for Canada next weekend.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Radnicki Obrenovac, Srdjan's team, was saved in the dying second of the season from relegation as OFK Belgrade scored vs. promotion rival RAD in extra time to draw them 2-2 after being down by two. OFK needed the points to get an UEFA spot, which they did. With the one point RAD could not catch Obrenovac, even though the latter lost 1-0 away to Red Star.

From Uefa, RAD's last minute draw led to crowd trouble in the stadium and outside. I suppose a different story in little Obrenovac:

from http://www.uefa.com/footballcentral/News/Kind=2/newsId=71475.html

Crowd trouble follows Rad relegation

Saturday, 24 May 2003

The Prva Savezna Liga match between FK Rad and OFK Beograd was marred by crowd trouble.

Rad relegated

The trouble broke out several minutes after the end of the game, which finished 2-2 and confirmed Rad's relegation from the top flight. Supporters began throwing missiles at the police, who retaliated by firing into the crowd.

Journalist hit

One of the ricocheting bullets hit journalist Blagoje Toplicic, a cameraman with RTV Poli. The 60-year-old was hit in his right hand, and required urgent attention from doctors at a Belgrade to save his finger. The violence continued in the streets around the stadium, but there were no reports of further casualties.

May 25th update - Pozniak & Hutchison each play 90 minutes for Orebro & Oesters respectively. Good news for each player - Pozniak's team won 5-1, Hutchinson scored the only goal for his team - his first goal as a pro.

No sign of Budalic even being on the bench for Orebro in that game, but I suspect he's on his way to Germany (the first practice for the team is tomorrow, I believe).

In Norway, Sogndal missed a chance to close the gap on 1st place Rosenberg by only drawing last place Aaselund (sic?) 1-1. Reda played the whole match. No sign of Harmse being dressed for Tromso as they lose 2-1 & remain in 2nd last place.

In the Norwegian 1st Division, according to Livescore.com, but not according to a Norwegian website, Moss won 1-0. Rob Friend played the whole match, while Bernier also started but was taken off at the 75 minute mark. Nice to see he's healthy again. Haugesund won 2-1, Kojic playing the entire match & receiving a yellow card in the 81st minute - that shouldn't come as a surprise to Lynx fans, some of whom often referred to him as the Paolo Montero of the Lynx last year.

Interesting to note that the Norwegian league appears to have a summer break in the first half of July, which would theoretically allow for the Canadian players to be part of the Gold Cup squad without missing any games - until Canada makes it to the quarter-finals of the Gold Cup, as the same weekend as the quarter-final match-ups is the weekend the Norwegian season resumes. Should any of the Norwegian based players be selected & released for Gold Cup duty they would only miss a couple of club games at the most. Not sure about Sweden's schedule.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

In the Norwegian 1st Division, according to Livescore.com, but not according to a Norwegian website, Moss won 1-0. Rob Friend played the whole match, while Bernier also started but was taken off at the 75 minute mark.

Well according to Moss's site you are right on the players and times played, but they have the game as a scoreless tie. It is here: http://www.mossfk.no/id/000750.asp

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Well according to Moss's site you are right on the players and times played, but they have the game as a scoreless tie. It is here: http://www.mossfk.no/id/000750.asp

I've seen Livescore.com take a long time to report a goal before, but this is the first time I've seen them invent one - they had Moss scoring on a penalty kick in the 46th minute. Weird. However, as two Norwegian sites (including the Moss site say otherwise), it looks like livescore.com got it wrong. Somehow.

Archived