UEFA Cup final (bit long, sorry)

Cheeta

In Seville, Spain. And the countdown is a tick-tick-a-ticking.

Celtic having been alloted 15,000 tickets are expecting some grand support (and little trouble) as most tickets are being made available by lottery to seasons pass holders registered with a European travellers scheme under the direction of the club.

Welsh striker John Hartson is out and scheduled for surgery on a slipped disc. His big, bald, head and shooting boots have been invaluable this year to the hoops and certainly gone a long way to reviving a career that had otherwise leveled off somewhat lower on the ladder than he'd have liked.

There're questions in the crease as well, as it's looking Hedman and Douglas well both be available but as neither (especially Hedman) haven't seen action of late it may be a tough call. Ug.

All and all, curse me for saying it, it's a tough go for the lads from Glasgow. The green & white are flying down the street on Kimberly and I'm leaving a bottle of Guiness and a prayer on the doorstep on my way to work in gratitude wednesday morning. Looking for a game performance but expecting to see the bhoys wilt beneith that Spanish sun( rain, rain, cooling spring rain please).

Just as an insight into all this UEFA Cup to-do. Celtic has released their new home kit and sold 45,000 in under a week in a rush by fans to get into stripe before wednesday's big match. 100,000 were ordered and sales are well ahead of schedule. On the subject of revenues, both Rangers and Celtic have got deep into the red hoping for European success, which untell this season had eluded the Old Firm. Television moneys from this UEFA Cup run, not to mention the clubs apportioned gate for matchs are part of the goose which lays those golden eggs. Can only immagine the sales of watchs, wallets, t-shirts, mugs, blah, blah, blah, as this tourny has gotten on and should Celtic pull it all off. Utter madness and I'll be first in line.

Likely as important for Celtic is the offer of European football to star players. The club can offer top flight facilities and world class atmosphere but domestic competion and quality has allways been a problem in attracting and keeping star footballers. This has changed this year, and Celtic well benefit from it. Well Scottish football? Maybe not necessarily.

Fingers and toes crossed. A grand game please. And hoping both clubs bring their best game.

Minority of one

Oops. Sorry, right you are.

Roger's Sportsnet covering the match nationwide. 1:30 central broadcast time. Kickoff 15 minutes later @ 1:45.

Just as a little side note, Sportsnet is rounding up the european football season in style by bringing us the EUFA Cup Final, the Nationwide 1st playoff final monday (week today, tune in, is going to be wicked) and of course the Canada international from Wolfsburg. Think they've got the exhibition matchs for the ladys against England as well but aren't all together certain. Anyway, it's a nice piece of programing and I'm gratefull for it.

Minority of one

Guest Jeffery S.

Celtic Fans arrive in town

All very well, only I live in Barcelona. Which is like the distance from Windsor to Montreal maybe. So they are doing a bit of tourism in Spain before they head down? Or not?

Seriously, literally dozens around with a cute t-shirt commemorating the final. Since I read that perhaps up to 20,000 will come without tickets, and it is all about watching the game in a friendly pub of which there are dozens here, or any old bar that will carry it, meaning maybe 5,000 bars with tvs (Spain has something like a bar for every 200 inhabitants, my wife's village has three, population 235), why not just stay in BCN and celebrate with the scores of other fans who couldn't bother to make it to Seville?

I think on a more serious note is a beautiful final, two classic European sides with fine teams, both at the top of their form this year, evenly matched even in budget I would imagine. Leagues even similar (though Portugal surely has an edge). Looking forward to it.

Hard not to like both teams. Won't know who to cheer for. Both teams have great non-neanderthal supporters, great history, and are from great soccer mid-level countries. Not like the Hampions League final, where I'll be cheering for Juventus because I always cheer against any team from Milan.

Looking forward to a great afternoon of football tomorrow, and will be happy regardless. Wish I could be in Sevilla!

Groannnn,

I wish. Must have bought $20 in 6/49 tickets on saturday but got naught for my investment. And silly me spending my savings on a condo otherwise I'd be there with only my backpack, sleeping bag, and bail money. Understand Seville is wonderful.

Good on yah cheering against Milan sides. Cheeta's sibbling married an "ethnic" Italian and they're from "up north" so when the familys get together dad and uncles find Rosa's brother in law and go on a bit in their best english about AC for a while and I go on a bit about Roma or Juve. Don't watch much Serie A these days but I can usually get them going pretty good. It's all great fun.

Minority of one

"Celtic Fans Aarriving in Barcelona" (lost?) reminds me of when I flew (business unfortunately, only saw the game on TV) from Madrid to London 5 days after the Champions League Final won by Man U in June, 1999. On the flight was a British boxing club who had been in some event in central Spain shortly before. The police at Heathrow sure perked up when they saw a number of shaved-headed, severely bruised, young gentlemen pour off the plane. They were curtly directed into a waiting room, and I can only imagine the explanations that went on afterwards.

Guest Jeffery S.

Re those Celtic fans in Barcelona.

Well at around noon today I saw a whole bunch of them crammed into the back of the lower deck of a double-decker tour bus, think there was room up top too so don't get that, it is 20 degrees here partially cloudy, this was on the elegant Passeig de Gràcia where the Gaudí buildings feature.

Explanation? Think that with those 50,000 announced going to Seville, there could be a couple. One, they have tickets but only hotel for tonight, so flying in mid aft (hour flight), game, then onto a hotel. If not maybe they fly out after the game. Or maybe they could not find hotel space at all and decided to just wing it for tonight. Seville only has capacity for some 25,000 visitors and this time of year is busy in normal circumstances. Mind you nearby there are lots of towns with spots, hell, they could even camp or even sleep in the parks given the weather down there (last Sunday the league games at around 7 were played in near 35 degree weather. Not normal guys).

A fellow drowned yesterday in Seville, Celtic supporter tried to swim the Guadalquivir, not as wide as the Thames at London but wider than the Seine, to give you an idea. A teen. Apart from that no word of incidents, though they say they have drunk in two days the equivalent many bars sell in a month.

By the way, the Olympic Stadium in Seville is unused. Seville FC plays in the Villamarín, and Betis in the stadium named after the egomaniac owner, Ruíz de Lopera. The Olympic is pure speculation on getting the games some day. And this is a city maybe the size of Calgary.

I think that the poor soul that drowned was a Porto supporter, a boy.

Too bad, but I guess with that number something was bound to happen.

Generally hear that the supporters from both sides really behaving and that the Sevilleanos are being very gracious.

Off to the TV to watch the match!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what a match! I watched it in a pub in Waterloo, with dozens of Celtic fans in attendance. I was the only one cheering (quietly) for Porto.

I was only cheering for Porto because (a) I was in the reserves with a bunch of guys who were Scottish only when convenient, and that annoys me, and (B) I have some kind of pro-underdog grudge against the Old Firm teams at all times.

But a very exciting game; Celtic scored both goals on breaks, and Porto scored both after a series of slow, deliberate buildups. Very interesting to see two teams that contrast so well.

Good game, though not worth drowning for...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Imagine the game we'd have had if Celtic been able to find 8 other players willing to play!!

Oh and here's a O'Neil's nightmare scenario still alive and well. From the apex of Scottish football to the dustbin of history. Celtic go from the opportunity of a generation to "chokers" immortal having their best european success in living memmory but their Glasgow rivals leaving 2003 behind with all the trophys!! The talk for years to come wouldn't be Celtic's great run in europe, just their horrible stumble at the finish line.

Minority of one

Archived