EODSA/Soccer Ontario fiasco

Protega

5 minutes ago, Protega said:

Rumour is that Soccer Ontario ruled on this issue with the eight Ottawa clubs a couple of weeks ago, but the EODSA isn't providing information to members as it is supposed to.  In any case, sounds like they're letting them continue with their unsanctioned league.  I know that one of the clubs does all the scheduling for these "exhibition games" - even the games they aren't involved in.

Anyone know of other unsanctioned leagues operating in Ontario?  Just wondering whether everyone gets the same treatment as this group, or whether this is a green light for groups to start up their own leagues?

I assume each of these club carries a significant amount of insurance but wouldn't they still be liable as a whole should a situation arise and they're not carrying the appropriate policies for a sanctioned league?

I think so long as Soccer Ontario is allowing them to carry on with it, they would be covered by whatever policies are in place for all Ontario members.  I think it's BS that they can be covered for what everyone knows is an unsanctioned league though.

Some (vague) update on the situation...

http://www.ersl.ca/Downloads/Notice_Re_-_District_League_Operations_-_2017.pdf

Apparently Soccer Ontario did hold a disciplinary hearing, but all parties are refusing to disclose the findings.  Now the EODSA is taking away the operation of the U9 - U12 leagues from the ERSL starting after this season.  In effect, the 8 clubs that are currently operating an unsanctioned league will be running the local district youth leagues in the future.  I can only surmise from this that Soccer Ontario ruled that they can't continue with their unsanctioned OPDP league and that these 8 clubs will now seek to exclude any programs they don't like from the local district league.  What puzzles me is that if these 8 clubs were told they can't operate an unsanctioned league, why are they being allowed to continue to operate even after the hearing?  Dozens of games were played again this past weekend, and all of these games are being scheduled by one club.  I do feel for the employees of the ERSL and EODSA - their employment has to be affected by these actions, which are purely driven by certain individuals for their own personal gain (i.e., the people who run the big clubs as private businesses).

Not surprised by this.

I laughed when I read the reference to the definition of "Exhibition Game" - I thought maybe I was missing a page because they seem to have left out the part about how "Exhibition games have no stats, standings, or set schedule of games".  Pretty obvious that they were looking for a way to disregard the schedule provided by Craig Stead of OSU to all of the clubs - it was submitted from an anonymous source, so it could  not be included as evidence.  Of course the source wanted to remain anonymous - parents were receiving e-mails after that asking them to tell the club who forwarded the e-mail.  The part about "Mr. Stead could not verify the legitimacy of this e-mail" kills me - I wish I could have seen him neither confirm nor deny that the e-mail addressed from his e-mail address may or may not have come from him.  The claim that the schedule doesn't seem to be accurate is bs, since all those games have been played, and games continue to be played in line with the schedule that was put together back in May.

So ultimately, they're not guilty, but they can't keep doing what they've been doing (except that they are still doing it).

https://www.eodsa.ca/ViewArticle.aspx?NewsArticleID=12208

The other bs part about their findings is that it says the EODSA provided the clubs with blanket permission to run exhibition games among themselves.  But Ontario Soccer's rules provide that a district can blanket permission to a "league governed by the District Association to authorize exhibition games which only involve teams belonging to that affiliated league".  So on one hand they say that the OPDP was not a league, but on the other hand they've been granted blanket coverage for team in that league???

Archived