TFC and League One

Rheo

I'm not really certain what the practical effect of this is tbh.  TFC is providing training for youth players, and in return I imagine they get some kind of preference in grabbing players from Windsor for TFC2 if desired?  TFC's benefit hasn't been clearly stated from what I've read.  I don't know if this will affect the L1O structure, or how this will change going into next year when the OSA are set to axe the PDL teams (including TFC's academy in that league).

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2016 at 6:37 PM, Gopherbashi said:

I'm not really certain what the practical effect of this is tbh.  TFC is providing training for youth players, and in return I imagine they get some kind of preference in grabbing players from Windsor for TFC2 if desired?  TFC's benefit hasn't been clearly stated from what I've read.  I don't know if this will affect the L1O structure, or how this will change going into next year when the OSA are set to axe the PDL teams (including TFC's academy in that league).

Are they still going ahead with axing the PDL teams? There's a pretty clear difference in play quality between PDL & L1O, despite the past few years of trying to step up the quality. Are they planning to axe Thunder Bay Chill as well, or just the southern-Ontario teams?

As for the effects of the Windsor partnership, so far all that's visible is the renaming of the team to Windsor TFC. Not a big change, but it does hurt the optics of the very Toronto-heavy L1O. It's too bad there isn't more of a push to get a Northern Division going in the league. If they could get a couple teams from some more Northern Communities (ie Sault Ste Marie, Sudbury, North Bay, Timmins, Thunder Bay...) it would better solidify it as an Ontario-league as opposed to a Toronto-league.

1 hour ago, Rintaran said:

Are they still going ahead with axing the PDL teams? There's a pretty clear difference in play quality between PDL & L1O, despite the past few years of trying to step up the quality. Are they planning to axe Thunder Bay Chill as well, or just the southern-Ontario teams?

As for the effects of the Windsor partnership, so far all that's visible is the renaming of the team to Windsor TFC. Not a big change, but it does hurt the optics of the very Toronto-heavy L1O. It's too bad there isn't more of a push to get a Northern Division going in the league. If they could get a couple teams from some more Northern Communities (ie Sault Ste Marie, Sudbury, North Bay, Timmins, Thunder Bay...) it would better solidify it as an Ontario-league as opposed to a Toronto-league.

Last I heard the Ontario-based PDL teams were being forced over next year, but that's only from the original report - haven't heard anything since.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if TBC are granted an exemption - I doubt many L1O teams want to make that trek.

Archived