MLS Draft

JimmyJames

I have thought that the MLS draft has been a waste of time and energy but with very little empirical evidence.  Other than outliers do quality players really come form the draft or would it be more prudent to spend our energy on the Academy and trade our picks away every year for allocation money or something?

The more successful your team the more you need your academy because your picks will get worse and worse the higher you go in the standings. 

I think it all depends on the year. Some years you will have good players available and others you have pretty slim pickings. The scouting an organization has will be more important than drafting from NCAA ranks. 

There is quality sometimes. I'm just going to give Cameron Porter as an example. He was in the mid 40's as a draft pick and won the starting job in Montreal. Every team passed on him at least once. You just have to know what you're looking for and how he can work in your system. You also have to look at your Academy as a way to produce player and look at a player that is totally different than what you have waiting in the wings.

Archived