Continental Championships

RJB

OK, so this year is pretty awesome, with four continental championships: AFC, CAF, CONMEBOL, and CONCACAF.

For the sake of direct comparison, I've looked at the semi-finalists for the previous five tournaments for each federation.  I did something similar in the Asian Cup 2015 thread, but this includes all six federations.

The results:

Noting that for five tournaments, there can be a maximum of 20 different semi-finalists (minimum 4).

UEFA: 11

CAF: 11

AFC: 10

CONMEBOL: 10

CONCACAF: 8

OFC: 7

I don't think any of us are surprised by the fact that CONCACAF is such a predictable federation.  If we consider just the last three tournements (maximum 12 different semi-finalists, minimum 4):

UEFA: 9

CAF: 9

CONMEBOL: 8

AFC: 7

OFC: 7

CONCACAF: 5

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this, if anything at all, but I do reckon this is a nice starting point in a discussion around what is to be a great year for international tournaments.

EDIT: Well, I do have a spreadsheet, but can't figure out how to post it here with any decent formatting.  I'll see what I can do.  File attached.

Continental Semi Finalists.pdf

For the second standings you have UEFA as having 6 different SF's in the last 3 tournaments, but according to your spreadsheet there have been 9

different nations in the SF's the last 3 tournaments.

Corrected.  Thanks.

Archived