An Opinionated blast from the Past...

View Thread on Aug 11, 1999 12:28 PM

Trillium, Do I Have to...by Frank (FC Havoc)

Let see, to the best of my knowledge, which is incomparable to yours of course.

I understand that it might be slightly expensive for our Canadian clubs to make the pilgrimage to the Champion's Cup.

Just a brief history, iI understand that the old NSL Ontario took part back in late 60's or 70's (not sure) but, I believe it was a couple of times. However, I did not hear of the NASL taking part of this tournament, or did one American team try one year.

Were the Blizzard or the Whitecaps afraid of the NSL? Back in 1996, the old CNSL attempted to make an entry, bbbbbutttt, although the CNSL clubs were all for it, they just cried (weh, weh) broke.

Then, back to 1992, to the glorious CSL days, the Vancouver 86ers were entered in the Champion's Cup, I believe it was named "American Airlines Cup". OOOHHHH! Guess who entered the Vancouver 86ers, Trillium?

YES, ha!ha!ha! MEHRDAD!!! ha!ha!ha!

Anyways, after all the efforts Mehrdad went through to get them in. From what I understand, the 86ers dropped out before even one match. Why you may ask? TOO much of an undertaking for the 86ers financially.

For some apparent reason, the 86ers had to play 6 to 7 rounds before making it to the FINAL ROUND! with another 6 games to play. In conclusion, there have been attempts in the past, but lets look at this together and spell it out, it is too C-O-S-T-L-Y for a team such as the 86ers and the Lynx to fly back and forth to Central America and the Caribbean.

Do not think that CONCACAF will automatically put a Canadian team in the final round as per say the MLS.

I hope I shed some sort of clarification and some light on this issue. P.S. - What are you referring to as the twelve steps? Trillium, you never answer any of my questions completely. Yours in soccer, Frank (FC Havoc)

Where is FC Havoc ? I pulled this out of the Network 54 archieve... just to show how things do change over time, we have FC Edmonton, and Ottawa Fury vying to play against other Concacaf teams by winning the Voyageurs Cup, we have three MLS teams who will equally see value in a strong Concacaf Champions league run....hopefully folks today will reflect on what can be with competitions and the growth of the game if they have a positive attitude to change and development. For those who do not know Mehrdad was a former CSA staffer who had his Iran team jerseys prominently displayed at the CSA offices on Metcalfe.

We have come a long way.. but the road is still long, I still think the Voyageurs Cup would be better served by a independent ctte of trustees advising the CSA on its form, but the battle was lost when the trophy was turned over to them and then pimped out to "A" to sell pyramid scheme products.

• 1 month later...

Archived