Algarve Cup - on a side note

canadianfoot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algarve_Cup

The Algarve Cup is a global invitational tournament for national teams in women's association football. Held annually in the Algarve region of Portugal since 1994, it is one of the most prestigious women's football events, alongside the Women's World Cup and Women's Olympic Football. There is also an Algarve Cup competition for male under-17 football players that is held every February.

According to Wiki Canada has participated 4times (2000-2003) I realize the tournament is by invitation and sometimes other competitions get in the way. But somehow Canada can't make it there for a while now. While:

Finland(18 out of 19)

Sweden(19 out of 19)

Norway(19 out of 19)

USA(17 out of 19)

Denmark(19 out of 19)

China (17 out of 19)

Make it to Almost ALL of them. This year in the 2013 edition here are the participants:

PORTUGAL(Host) 46th place(FIFA Ranking according to wiki)

China* 17th place

Denmark* 13th place

Germany 2nd place

Hungary (first apperance) 37th place

Iceland 15th place

Japan(3rd apperance in a row) 3rd place

Mexico 24th place

Norway* 12th place

Sweden* 6th place

USA* 1st place

Wales 39th place

How come Canada(FIFA 7th place Ranking) is not part of the tournament? We should be at least in 2013/2014 in order to prepare ourselves for 2015. Did we piss off the FPF in some manner? Or is it by choice?

I find it hard to belive that with having more sponsors aboard now thanks to the Olympics we can't afford to send a team over. I hope that is not the case. But then what is it?

• 2 years later...

France  won the 2014 Cyprus Cup and have switched back to the 2015 Algarve Cup with little trouble at all. In contrast, John Herdman's requests for Canada to  play in the Algarve Cup have been refused a few times.  For whatever unknown reasons, the Algarve tournament organizers seem to have no  desire for Canada to play in their tournament.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived