UNB Soccer

whale_31

Hi everyone,

BMO has become a major sponsor of soccer in the Fredericton area, taking on the naming rights of all three of our turf fields and yesterday made a huge sponsor to the UNB soccer teams. Hopefully this will continue to elevate our succesful program.

Here's the article

"BMO Financial Group announced yesterday it is making a major investment in higher education in New Brunswick with the announcement of a $1,750,000 gift to the University of New Brunswick.

"This is a tremendous investment in higher education in our province from an internationally respected Canadian business," said Eddy Campbell, president and vice-chancellor of the University of New Brunswick. "UNB has enjoyed a business relationship with BMO Financial that goes back for more than a century, a distinction that speaks to the depth of the contributions of two iconic Canadian institutions."

A full $1 million from the BMO gift will be directed to UNB's Varsity Reds men's and women's soccer program and related scholarships. Another $500,000 will go to support UNB Fredericton's Faculty of Business Administration's Business Plan Competitions. The commitment will also provide $250,000 to fund the BMO Financial Group Smart Classroom in the University Commons on the Saint John campus."

Here's some more infomation

Largest ever gift by BMO in Atlantic Canada

BMO Financial Group directs $1.75 million to student programs at the University of New Brunswick

FREDERICTON – February 8, 2011- BMO Financial Group is making a major investment in higher education in New Brunswick with the announcement of a $1,750,000 gift to the University of New Brunswick. The largest single donation ever made in Atlantic Canada by BMO is also the single largest gift received by UNB from a corporate donor. The 10-year commitment will support student projects on UNB campuses in Fredericton and Saint John.

“This is a tremendous investment in higher education in our province from an internationally respected Canadian business,’ said Eddy Campbell, president and vice-chancellor of the University of New Brunswick. “UNB has enjoyed a business relationship with BMO Financial that goes back for more than a century, a distinction that speaks to the depth of the contributions of two iconic Canadian institutions.”

“A healthy and innovative higher education system is of great value for recruitment and development in Canadian business,” continues Campbell. “Today’s gift sets a new standard for corporate support of discovery and excellence at UNB.”

“BMO is proud to support Canada’s oldest English language university as it strives to provide an exceptional and transformative student experience while leading in discovery, innovation and entrepreneurship,” said Steve Murphy, Senior Vice-President, Atlantic Provinces Division, BMO Bank of Montreal.

“My colleagues and I at BMO are excited about our enhanced partnership with UNB, and we look forward to cheering on the UNB Varsity Reds who will be playing at the BMO Centre and students who will be competing at the annual UNB Business Plan Competitions,” added Christine Cooper, Vice-President, New Brunswick & PEI District, BMO Bank of Montreal.

One million dollars from the BMO gift will be directed to UNB’s Varsity Reds men’s and women’s soccer program and related scholarships. The targeted funding will help to further develop excellence on the field and in the classroom for UNB’s Varsity Reds athletes. The Varsity Reds soccer program will compete at the newly named BMO Centre at UNB, further reinforcing BMO’s position as a leader in soccer development in Canada.

BMO is committing $500,000 to support the further development of UNB Fredericton’s Faculty of Business Administration’s Business Plan Competitions. Already one of the most respected in the region, the faculty is looking forward to raising the bar even higher for participants from across Canada and around the world.

The commitment will also provide $250,000 to fund the BMO Financial Group Smart Classroom in the University Commons on the Saint John campus. This support will help complete the University Commons project, a signature new building at the heart of the campus’s renewal.

Founded in 1817, BMO Bank of Montreal opened its first branch in New Brunswick in 1867 and now operates 24 full-service branches in the province. BMO provides financing to more than 3,700 commercial entities in New Brunswick for a total of more than $1.6 billion while supporting leading education, health-care, cultural and not-for-profit institutions through donations and sponsorships.

Established in 1785, UNB is one of the oldest public universities in North America. More than 11,000 full- and part-time students from more than 100 countries are studying on campuses in Fredericton and Saint John and several thousand more take UNB courses online and at partner institutions around the world. As the largest research institution in New Brunswick, UNB conducts more than 75 per cent of the province’s university research. The university has an annual operating budget of more than $165 million and employs more than 3,500 faculty, staff and students.

Will UNB finally be able to out perform teams like SMU who only have a part time coach? Extra money for scholorships certainly seems to have worked at CBU the last few years...

UNB does have a full time coach for both the woman's and men's team. The big issue has always been recruiting quality players in. With the great new facilities here in Fredericton along with the financial backing, this shouldn't be an issue.

Fredericton is hosting the U18 Nationals in 2011 and the University Nationals in 2013 so the 2011 Nationals should be a recruitment goldmine for them

UNB does have a full time coach for both the woman's and men's team. The big issue has always been recruiting quality players in. With the great new facilities here in Fredericton along with the financial backing, this shouldn't be an issue.

Fredericton is hosting the U18 Nationals in 2011 and the University Nationals in 2013 so the 2011 Nationals should be a recruitment goldmine for them

I've thought the coach does a good job of putting together a competitve men's program together at UNB, his problem has always been there's not much talent in New Brunswick to recruit, when compared to Halifax or even P.E.I. SMU and DAL have a distinct advantage there, but CBU has shown that location isn't an excuse.

CBU shows that your location or how not great your uni is isn't really called an excuse (They used to be called the University of Crayons and Colouring Books when they were UCCB haha). And as for talent, I went through the Cape Breton youth system and the talent has dropped off quite a bit since when I went through.

I've heard some rumblings that Miles isn't really that great of a coach. He red-shirted Cassian Ferlatte (who is one of the best defenders in NB, and I'm pretty sure is related to Maxime). Yes, talent in NB is nowhere near as good as PEI or NS, but there are a few capable players in NB. I have not seen Miles coach, so I can't fully comment, but this is just the opinion of a few people I know in NB...

It's stories like this that show there is corporate support out there for soccer. If the CSA could make a serious alliance with the CIS teams, more of this kind of funding could easily happen. The standards of the game need to be addressed from all angles; facilities, coaches, travel funds and players. If you were building from scratch, I'm not sure where you'd start; but BMO's funding for the UNB programs has to help both with raw cash and exposure. The new NBPSL, will also keep some of those university players in NB for the summer, where they may have spent summers in NS or elsewhere. Both of these announcements go hand in hand. Building talented players must be done through playing more meaningful games. NBers should be very excited about their talent pool moving from a senior B level to senior A.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/news/article/1378579

CBU has an influx of players from Bermuda, which, even a casual observer would have to think is due to some sort of tie to the University programming and Bermuda than, say, football players desperate to get to CB to train...

Also, SMU has full time coaches, but, they don't train the team full time. I'm curious to what you think the university staff could/should be responsible for (having assisted for a minute at SMU a season ago)

CBU has an influx of players from Bermuda, which, even a casual observer would have to think is due to some sort of tie to the University programming and Bermuda than, say, football players desperate to get to CB to train...

Also, SMU has full time coaches, but, they don't train the team full time. I'm curious to what you think the university staff could/should be responsible for (having assisted for a minute at SMU a season ago)

I heard UNB was the only AUS school that had a full-time coaching staff, but I have been wrong before...

Anyway, seeing a full-time soccer environment with my own eyes, let me say the coaches I have seen work in this enviroment, they work their BUTTS off big time. The manager of the team I played with abroad was involved in managing:

- 2 local senior league teams (Leinster Senior League)..they have a 3rd now, not sure if he's managing it or if its someone else...

- 4 National University Cup competitions - They draw their players from the senior league teams, reserve division, and the League of Ireland. It's still extra preparation and planning, pretty sure he's also responsible for logistics (getting there, accomodations, etc.)

- He used to run the soccer club's website while I was there, he doesn't now.

- He runs the summer camp when university is out.

- Oh, he's also the assistant manager for the League of Ireland side.

Now, I'm not sure if this is the norm in a full-time "semi-pro" environment, but that's what he did while I was over there. It's a very tough job and not for everybody, even if they have the soccer acumen to manage a few teams at once.

r2r

Archived