Canada announces U-18 camp and roster

CoachRich

Thanks to Richard at BCSW for the head's up -

26 November 2010

Canada announces U-18 camp and roster

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4573

Canada has announced it will host a women’s U-18 camp this 29 November to 8 December in São Paulo, Brazil. The U-18 camp will run alongside the national A camp that starts on the same day, but continues from 9-20 December for the four-team Torneio Internacional Cidade de São Paulo.

Coach Carolina Morace has selected 22 players for this camp. The U-18 squad features players born 1992 or later, so it is in fact the very age group that will participate in the next CONCACAF Women’s Under-20 Championship in 2012.

'It is good to bring this group together early and we hope to bring them together more often in 2011,' said Morace.

Eight players are making their debut at this age group, albeit three of those eight have trained with Morace at the national A level (Rachelle Beanlands, Sabrina D’Angelo and Diamond Simpson). Six of those eight players represented Canada at the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup Trinidad and Tobago 2010 (Beanlands, D’Angelo, Simpson, Caroline Beaulne, Vanessa Kovacs and Nicole Setterlund) while two are brand new to the Canadian program (Léa Chastenay-Joseph and Marie Lawrence Ouellet).

Also included in this camp are three players that played for Morace at the 2010 CONCACAF Women’s Under-20 Championship. They are all young enough to return to the U-20 championship in 2012.

Canada, whose title sponsor is Winners, will train daily in São Paulo, Brazil under the direction of Morace and staff. Each day, a few U-18 players will be called into national A squad to train with the full team.

CANADA

GK- Rachelle Beanlands | CAN / Ottawa Fury | Ottawa, ON, CAN

GK- Sabrina D’Angelo | CAN / Toronto Lynx | Welland, ON, CAN

GK- Sarah Dilling | CAN / Southwest United Premiers | Calgary, AB, CAN

CB- Catherine Charron-Delage | CAN / Comètes de Laval | Longueuil, QC, CAN

CB- Olivia Mbala | USA / University of North Carolina | Scarborough, ON, CAN

CB- Rachel Melhado | USA / University of Louisville | Brampton, ON, CAN

CB- Frédérique Paradis | CAN / Royal-Sélect Beauport | Beauport, QC, CAN

RB- Christine Exeter | USA / University of Louisville | Pickering, ON, CAN

RB- Vanessa Legault-Cordisco | USA / University of Evansville | Boisbriand, QC, CAN

LB- Nicole Ambrose | USA / University of Santa Clara | South Surrey, BC, CAN

LB- Nicole Hill | USA / University of Georgia | Phoenix, AZ, USA

M- Olivia Colosimo | USA / Butler University | Thunder Bay, ON, CAN

M- Nicole Setterlund | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-18 Prospects | White Rock, BC, CAN

M- Vanessa Kovacs | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-18 Prospects | North Delta, BC, CAN

M- Katie Turney | USA / Washington State University | Surrey, BC, CAN

M- Jaclyn Sawicki | CAN / University of Victoria | Coquitlam, BC, CAN

M- Diamond Simpson | CAN / Hamilton FC | Mississauga, ON, CAN

F- Caroline Beaulne | CAN / CS Longueuil | Longueuil, QC, CAN

F- Léa Chastenay-Joseph | CAN / Royal-Sélect Beauport | Québec, QC, CAN

F- Marie Laurence Ouellet | CAN / Rapides de Chaudière Ouest | Trois-Rivières, QC, CAN

F- Jenna Richardson | USA / Oregon State University | Vancouver, BC, CAN

F- Heather Young | CAN / Edmonton Victoria | Lacombe, AB, CAN

Navycyr... Beauport Striker is there, I hinted this would happen. Can never give up.

I think the only way to put an end to an injustice is to put it into light. I know some people (at least 2) outside the team talked about her to WNT officials after the situation has been exposed in the Voyageurs forum. It's now up to her to demonstrate what she can do on a soccer field. I have full confidence in coach Morace and I know that if she is cut it will be because she won't have the elements the coach is looking for in a player and you won't hear me complain. I have seen the lady at the team's end of year party and wished her best of luck. That closes that subject for me. I just hope such a thing does not happen again to another talented girl like that. By the way, I noticed three of the Quebec girls invited to the U18 camp (those not coming from the Montreal area) do not come from NTC which shows coach Morace is not influenced by politics when it comes to search for talent. Would it be only for that, I have lot of respect for her.

• 3 weeks later...
In the first U19 camp of the Pellerud era in 2000 we camped almost 50 different U19's across the country. As time went by in 2002, 2005, etc we gradually scaled back less and less.

We convert about 25% to senior.

Heather Young is a great addition. She should have been there years ago. I have had the pleasure of seeing this girl play and develop and i can tell you she will make a huge impact if given the chance. Speed-touch -shot and determination.

Archived