RICHARD STARNES, THE OTTAWA CITIZEN - Morace getting the most out of Canadian team

CoachRich

NOVEMBER 15, 2010

I am not sure Carolina Morace knew exactly what she was getting when she agreed to become coach of the Canadian women's soccer team.

She could not have understood completely the difficulty of coaching a team in a country that doesn't have its own league, that faces huge geographic hurdles, operates with limited resources and, in part, with diverse political difficulties in the sport.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Morace+getting+most+Canadian+team/3829288/story.html#ixzz15OQn7JUB

Found at : http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/

I found this part of the article interesting... Maybe she will experiment in Brasil next month!

"....She has plenty of plans in the lead up to the finals with tournaments in Brazil and China figuring. She talked to me about trying another system.

"I want my team to be unpredictable," she said......"

A very good read!

Morace is a real pro. She places the players at the top of the pyramid; not the coaches. Respect for your opponent and your team mates come first. In her camps the players compete hard without the use of shin/ankle guards; targeting the ball at all times, not the players. A simple concept but supported by the rules of the game; practice like you play the game.

With Morace on board and the style of play improving, witnessed in the Gold Cup, the WNT program is trending up in the world rankings. It's great to see her mix the U20 program into her preparation for the Senior Women's World Cup in Brazil. Everyone can benefit at the same time. I wonder if select youth players at the U17 level would be in attendance if the WNT U17 program were in her charge as well.

^^ She is bringing U17 players to Brasil. But on the other hand that was expected (I feel) because this U20 Camp is really for players eligible for next U20 WC in 2012. So it will be for players 1992 and younger. (e.g. U17/U18 players from this past (2010) season). Maybe she will also bring a 1994??

Her picks though will be the interesting one to watch for.

NOVEMBER 15, 2010

I am not sure Carolina Morace knew exactly what she was getting when she agreed to become coach of the Canadian women's soccer team.

She could not have understood completely the difficulty of coaching a team in a country that doesn't have its own league...

Are their many countries in the world that have a professional soccer league set up for women? The WPS only came on the scene a few years ago correct? And the US are ranked best in the world last time I checked.

Are their many countries in the world that have a professional soccer league set up for women? The WPS only came on the scene a few years ago correct? And the US are ranked best in the world last time I checked.

Canadian Soccer Association to review Professional Soccer

The Canadian Soccer Association has announced that it has established an Ad hoc committee to examine the feasibility of a Canadian Professional League. While this committee completes its feasibility study the Canadian Soccer Association has passed a moratorium on the sanctioning of any further applications for Canadian franchises in USA based leagues until 30 September 2011.

The Canadian Soccer Association, in partnership with its members and all its corporate partners, provides leadership in the pursuit of excellence in soccer, both at the national and international levels. The Canadian Soccer Association not only strives to lead Canada to victory, but it also encourages Canadians towards a life-long passion for soccer.

Archived