Nonni entering second year with UCSB

Gaucho

Michael Nonni, a second team Big West recipient last year as a frosh, enters his second year as our top returning scorer from last year. He will likely be paired with Denver transfer and US U-20 player Sam Garza.

We will be on Fox Channel twice this year:

Oct. 15 at home versus Duke

Oct. 27 at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Highlights from FSC from our match versus Indiana last year:

Preview of our forwards including Nonni:

http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/082010aac.html

Also, UCSB will be hosting the College Cup this year. If we make a run in the NCAA's and find our way to the College Cup, Harder Stadium will be absolutely insane! If anyone is looking for a vacation idea for Dec. 10-12, consider going to Santa Barbara! More info on the College Cup can be found here:

http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/cup.html

Go Gauchos!

Go Canada!

Go Rob Friend!

Nonni scored a goal against cross-town NAIA school Westmont in a 3-1 win. The Westmont coach said his team had the hardest time handling Nonni despite Sam Garza getting most of the attention by the press.

We finish our very short preseason against the U-20 Mexico national team tonight at 7:30 pacific time. The college radio station will cover the match here: http://www.kcsb.org/sports/listen-here-double-header-kcsb-live-presentation-of-ucsb-mens-soccer-vs-u-20-mexico-national-team

With Garza out due to a slight injury, Nonni should be paired up with a freshman from Ghana, David Opoku, who is very athletic (6'2", 180 poounds with sprinter speed).

If anyone is interested in the Westmont coach's comments on Nonni, he makes them at the 8:00 minute mark here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PresidioSports#p/u/9/wF5ZYwUa0TI

• 1 month later...

Really not too much to report regarding Nonni. He's been recovering from an ankle injury and just returned to the pitch this last Wednesday in a loss to Fullerton.

Unfortunately, he did not get to play last weekend where we beat UCLA 2-0 at home in front of nearly 16,000 fans.

We're up and down so far with a 3-3-2 record but have played against solid competition.

I can not resist posting this video from the match:

Thanks for the update. Despite the slew of crap they put on Fox Sports World Canada when you are getting all the good stuff on Fox Soccer Channel, we still get their NCAA broadcasts, so I hope to check that out next week.

The Duke match might very well be our first ever sellout (17,000 capacity), so it should be a fun match to catch on TV. We would have sold out the UCLA match but the fire marshall wouldn't allow more people into the stadium after someone fell ill, and they had trouble getting the person out of the stadium. I plan to bump this thread as Oct. 15 draws near. We crushed Duke 6 years ago 5-nil in the semi-finals of the College Cup, so despite our geographical separation, there is a little history between the two programs.

And we play our conference and central coast rival Cal Poly on the Tuesday preceding Duke. I think something like 3 of the top 10 highest attended regular season matches are UCSB-Poly matches.

Nonni has been starting since recovering from an ankle injury, so I expect he will get significant PT versus Duke.

• 2 weeks later...

Must be a time zone thing. We had another game from the east coast so might not get the UCSB game here on Fox Sports World Canada after all. Dang.

Not sure if anyone here caught the match, but UCSB prevailed 2-0 in front of 11,242 fans. Nonni started and earned the assist on the game winning goal. He played primarily as a right winger and did well. Nonni's got good wheels, decent skill, and a lot of determination.

He had a decent chance in the box but instead of one-timing it, he took a touch toward the endline where a defended caught up to it. Otherwise, very solid match by Nonni.

Let's be clear about this guy...is he getting ANY interest from D2 or MLS teams?

Shhh... he's only a sophomore... don't want him turning pro just yet :)

Wouldn't mind seeing him make the Olympic team, though :)

Another quick interview with Nonni at 4:12 here:

Tidbit - the UCSB coach is interviewed right after Nonni (where he credits Nonni for wearing out a defender that led to our second goal), and you can see a blue tunnel in the background. If you look very closely, you can see lettering near the top that reads: Donated by #16 Rob Friend '01-'02.

I will say, though, that quite a few scouts attend matches at UCSB including MLS and international scouts, so Nonni is not in an obscure environment. The scouts may be coming to look mostly at players like Danny Barrera, Sam Garza, Luis Silva, and our unknown Ghanaian freshman Opoku, but I think Nonni is right there in the mix when it comes to talent.

Go Canada!

Go Gauchos!

After last year, I did hear rumors of him being looked at as a Gen Ad player if he was to up his game to the next level. But at this point, I doubt he will be asked to be put on the list because Vancouver has the 1st overall and wont use it on him.

But stranger things have happened

• 2 weeks later...

Archived