Caps vs St Louis - July 8

Tied 1 - 1 at the end. REB gets the late goal to give the Caps a point. Sloppy marking in the last 20 by the Caps gave St Louis some chances and they cashed in on a corner.

On a side note it appears Dever Orgill has been released by the Caps. No longer with the program.

Yes it's true. He injured a teammate in training: http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2010/07/08/whitecaps-release-dever-orgill.aspx

Bit of a broken record there - is there a problem with coaching or front office level spilling down? Does TT not have control over even his young wards?

Caps managed to make a very poor team really just a step ahead of folding look half-decent. Not impressed overall. On the bright side, REB showed a brilliant touch and a striker's instincts for the late equalizer.

I wonder if Ornoch could help this team? It seems to me that they keep adding players that are of a similar talent level to the ones they already have (has beens, never-weres, or young unproven types). One would hope some more talent will come their way in the coming weeks.

Yes it's true. He injured a teammate in training: http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2010/07/08/whitecaps-release-dever-orgill.aspx

Bit of a broken record there - is there a problem with coaching or front office level spilling down? Does TT not have control over even his young wards?

Caps managed to make a very poor team really just a step ahead of folding look half-decent. Not impressed overall. On the bright side, REB showed a brilliant touch and a striker's instincts for the late equalizer.

I wonder if Ornoch could help this team? It seems to me that they keep adding players that are of a similar talent level to the ones they already have (has beens, never-weres, or young unproven types). One would hope some more talent will come their way in the coming weeks.

"The Whitecaps have released 20-year-old forward Dever Orgill. No details were given in a brief press release but the last straw was Orgill's nasty tackle on teammate Zurab Tsiskaridze in practice on Tuesday. Management has been concerned about Orgill's mentality for a while, but were willing to give him a chance based on his considerable potential. He had just returned from a three-game suspension after slapping a red card out of a referee's hand in a mid-June game."

Ouch. You would think that seeing a golden boot winner get his walking papers for attitude the rest would realize that they should smarten up. Oh well some just have to learn the hard way. Too bad because Orgill was fun to watch and has some serious upside. If he has learned his lesson a team like Edmonton could use him. I don't think it is fair to blame TT or even the residency staff for lack of control. Some players are just hot heads. Intensity is a good thing but save it for when it counts.

As to the game we let 2 points (almost 3) get away. So many chances and only 1 goal. Sloppy play before and during the St Louis goal. So far this season Nolly has been the standout. When they asked TT about bringing in a striker after the game he smiled and gave the standard "we are always ..." type answer but I think something is up. We'll see on that front. Given Marlon's injury woes we need a veteran, but not too old, striker.

I am more than happy to keep the young potential types coming into the system. It is the lifeblood of any serious team. You won't have many work out but the ones that do can be a great asset to the team and not just on the field. You get one and a lot of kids who didn't know about or consider your program suddenly start to think "I'd like to try that Caps team out" which leads to more. The older ones are pretty much stabilizers for this year and possible backups for MLS. Davies is looking much better but needs to score if for no other reason than just to get his mind clear of it. Should have had a PK when the St Louis goalie took him out in the box.

Archived