EPL games to be broadcasted on RDS

the biologist

Here's good news. Finally, the french media starts to pay attention at what happens in the soccer world besides USL/MLS (barely for MLS but that will increase with the Impact now in) and Euro/WC. Yes, there are football leagues all over the world. So many people in Québec don't realize that soccer is no different than hockey in that players are paid zillions to play for a club, often as mercenaries and sometimes, if good enough, they get the call to play for the national side. Many people here asked questions during the WC like "Why [insert star name here] is earning so high a salary if he plays like crap like that ?" while of course the salary has nothing to do with playing for your NT, AS IN HOCKEY. They understand that most of the playing time NHL/whatever european league players get is LEAGUE PLAY, but don't realize it's just the same with soccer players.

And then there are the ones who understands that but are just unfamiliar with the differences like there's no playoffs after the season is over (most of the time), there are transfer fees, there are parallel leagues to reward the best teams, etc. That RDS news is a step forward in the right direction to change that. RDS themselves need a mentality change towards soccer (as is the case for the sister station TSN) and that's a beginning.

---------------------

LES MATCHS DE LA PREMIERSHIP À RDS

JEUDI 08 JUILLET 2010

RDS.CA

Le Réseau des sports (RDS) a conclu une entente de trois ans avec la Ligue anglaise Barclays.

À compter du 14 août, à 7h30, et pratiquement à chaque samedi jusqu’en mai prochain, RDS présentera des matchs de cette ligue comptant parmi les plus connues et reconnues au monde. La première ligue anglaise compte 20 équipes, dont les mythiques Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal. Plus d’une trentaine de matchs sont au menu de cette première saison de diffusion.

« L’engouement des gens de chez nous pour le soccer ne fait pas de doute et il va en grandissant », a déclaré M. Domenic Vannelli, vice-président production de RDS. « Le soccer de calibre international présenté à la télévision ces dernières années, lors de différents grands événements, a su rejoindre un public de plus en plus connaisseur et passionné. C’est pourquoi nous sommes particulièrement fiers de pouvoir offrir un tel niveau de jeu à nos téléspectateurs durant toute la saison ».

Claudine Douville et Jean Gounelle, assureront respectivement la description et l’analyse de ces rencontres mettant aux prises certains des meilleurs joueurs au monde.

It's a 3-year deal. They will show more than 30 games, that is, "practically" every Saturday at 7:30 AM all season long, beginning at Day 1 (08/14).

The play-by-play and color will probably sound pretty ordinary but that's pretty much the case every time there's a broadcast in french of a soccer game. Anyway, many english canadian descriptors sound bush league as well, so...

I think RDS is riding big time on the "World Cup Finals & Impact in MLS" wave but hey, which one of us will complain about that ?

That's good news for sure. Just hope they would show some different time than Saturday AM, when Soccer Central is on... And luckily it's not on RIS.

Personally I'd like to watch some Ligue 1 on RDS during the week too. But now that Radio Canada Sports has been awarded a sports channel, I'd rather have them show soccer than RDS. Hopefully they will buy the rights for some big league.

To be fair Ligue 1 has been avaialble for years on TV5 which is part of almost any basic cable package that RDS is in as well.

I've enjoyed for a long time watching the early EPL game and then the late Ligue 1 game on Saturdays.

The best part of TV5 is that it is available in HD. Nothing like watching a Ligue 1 game in HD.

I might have to subscribe to RDS (which is also available in HD), but it depends on what games they'll be showing. If they show the same game as RSN then forget it, but if it's piggybacking the Setanta game then that'll save me money.

To be fair Ligue 1 has been avaialble for years on TV5 which is part of almost any basic cable package that RDS is in as well.

I've enjoyed for a long time watching the early EPL game and then the late Ligue 1 game on Saturdays.

Oooh are you serious. I'm gonna have to tune in too then. Didn't know that :(

Archived