Trialist Kerry Baptiste Worth a Gamble?

powerof11

In his home country of Trinidad, Kerry Baptiste is a sports hero. Not only has he broken goal scoring records, he's also been named the country's "Sports Personality of the year."

Numbers like 48 goals in a season, and 67 goals in 87 total appearances for a club, will lead to that sort of thing. So will scoring both goals in a 2-2 draw against Mexico in Concacaf qualifiers.

But it's still the Trinidadian league. So would Baptise be a good bet for TFC? A little intuition and a look at his career suggests it would...

Jeremy Loome looks at the upside:

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Baptiste_Worth_the_Gamble_may_5_10_column.shtml

In his home country of Trinidad, Kerry Baptiste is a sports hero. Not only has he broken goal scoring records, he's also been named the country's "Sports Personality of the year."

Numbers like 48 goals in a season, and 67 goals in 87 total appearances for a club, will lead to that sort of thing. So will scoring both goals in a 2-2 draw against Mexico in Concacaf qualifiers.

But it's still the Trinidadian league. So would Baptise be a good bet for TFC? A little intuition and a look at his career suggests it would...

Jeremy Loome looks at the upside:

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Baptiste_Worth_the_Gamble_may_5_10_column.shtml

I don't really look at his domestic league record as really it's about as telling as Marlon's Mayalasian scoring record. I think when it come's to Baptistse it's his CONCACAF totals that intrigue me, for being on a country like TT, 8 goals in 43 caps isn't too bad or great, but considering the Team his plays for maybe there is enought heir for a guy who could put up 8-12 goals a year at the MLS level.

with only DeRo, Ibbe, Barrett and OB up front, I think he is worth the gamble as I don't think he would be overly pricey. TFC has some players it could let go of to make room for him, Nane and Garcia jump to mind. WHile Cronin as well has been out of favour with Preki though I'd like to see him packaged with allocation money and traded for a centre half.

Archived