Red tide rising

http://tfc.american-soccer-news.com/

quote:Many of the leading lights on Canada’s aquad have expressed a preference for the immaculately-groomed grass surface at Montreal’s Saputo Stadium. The short-passing game favoured by the country’s new breed of superstars was out in full force against St. Vincent on Friday, and last month’s 3-2 defeat to Brazil at Qwest Field was another exercise in joga bonito by both teams in creating a football spectacle.

In my opinion it was a huge mistake by the developers of BMO to have artificial turf in the stadium. it makes no sense to have it at all. The players don't like it. Nobody wants to play on it, it changes the way the game is played and it looks worse.

If BMO is ever going to become a stronghold for the MNT then it needs to get it sorted out so that the players are excited to play there.

Imagine if the English National team hated playing at Wembley and would rather play at Upton Park, its basically the same thing here.

Unless the NFL comes to Canada or MLSE buys BMO Field (seems really unlikely) there is almost certainly going to be CFL football on that field. It would be really tough to maintain a quality grass field for both CFL and MLS games, from what I've seen gridiron pretty much destroys grass fields for soccer - commonwealth is as hard as a rock. I think that turf is really the best option out of a couple of bad ones.

quote:Originally posted by Footscray

Unless the NFL comes to Canada or MLSE buys BMO Field (seems really unlikely) there is almost certainly going to be CFL football on that field. It would be really tough to maintain a quality grass field for both CFL and MLS games, from what I've seen gridiron pretty much destroys grass fields for soccer - commonwealth is as hard as a rock. I think that turf is really the best option out of a couple of bad ones.

I doubt BMO will ever be a home for the Argos. If you take a close look at the dimensions and features of the stadium, a CFL-sized pitch just doesn't fit. BMO would need massive renovations in order to accommodate pointy ball.

Archived