How is fairness ensured in the CC?

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

The only possible problem in the set up as is, as far as I can see, is that the final games are not played at the same time and date. Logical, being only three teams. Meaning going into the final match perhaps one team is playing to take the Cup and go to the ConcaChampions, while the other has nothing to play for. So the third party is left watching as their rival wins, and even pushes up the goal average, against an unmotivated side.

There is no way around this unless there is something to play for. And this is where prestige is not enough, you can't motivate a team out of the competition just on the basis of being fair to a team that is not playing. Or entertaining the fans in what is effectively, for them, a friendly. Maybe a good chance to rest players even thinking about league committments.

So here's the question: has any money been spoken of as part of participation? Are their bonuses for results and for goals? Just as with the last day of Champions group play, there is always a chunk of money out there to play for, some of which is often channelled into players' bonuses. What do we know about this?

I guess we need to cross our fingers. Imagine if TFC is eliminated come the final match vs. Montreal, and the Impact need a win. MLSE says to Saputo, "we could sure use a young striker next next season," and Saputo says, "you know, Joey Gjertsen may very well be available after tonights game." etc, etc. Robert and Edu and Brennan don't start, and Montreal wins...

I would think that the teams should be proud enough. In a three team tournament, there is a lot more attention, and hopefully the media can get on board and be the watch-dog if there isn't anything in place already.

I would think that Montreal and Vancouver would be up for any game against TFC. I would think those players would love to have the opportunity for exposure against players in a higher calibre league.

TFC has everything to lose in these games, as they are the team with the higher payroll and quality of players (supposedly).

quote:Originally posted by AvroArrow

TFC has everything to lose in these games, as they are the team with the higher payroll and quality of players (supposedly).

Coundn't agree more with you on that. It would be a serious blow to the club's pride and would likely shake a lot of people's faith in the ownership and management if TFC is blown-out of the tourney by two USL-1 clubs. And that's not to disparage the Impact or Whitecaps, I honestly think any team has a chance with this year's competition.

Guest Jeffery S.

I'll make my question clearer: are teams paid for results in the Canada Cup? If so, how much? Enough to put part of that back into bonuses for the players? And if not, why not? Isn't there revenue to be made and shared?

Results-based payments to clubs and related bonuses to players is the only way you can ensure a fair and fully competitive final set of games in the Canada Cup. All the rest about pride and honesty is horsecrap.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Results-based payments to clubs and related bonuses to players is the only way you can ensure a fair and fully competitive final set of games in the Canada Cup. All the rest about pride and honesty is horsecrap.

Which explains why whenever a professional athlete risks physical injury to make a play, be it a soccer player diving head first or a hockey player blocking a slapshot, his main reason for doing this is for a bonus cheque, even though the bonus cheque may be peanuts compared to his annual salary. Playing for pride and your teammates is a foreign concept to these mercenaries.:)

I don't think the USL clubs will have a problem with motivation when they play TFC if they are already eliminated, as they would have something to prove. TFC, on the other hand, wouldn't have that same motivation.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by AvroArrow

Which explains why whenever a professional athlete risks physical injury to make a play, be it a soccer player diving head first or a hockey player blocking a slapshot, his main reason for doing this is for a bonus cheque, even though the bonus cheque may be peanuts compared to his annual salary. Playing for pride and your teammates is a foreign concept to these mercenaries.:)

I don't think the USL clubs will have a problem with motivation when they play TFC if they are already eliminated, as they would have something to prove. TFC, on the other hand, wouldn't have that same motivation.

You simply cannot have a final match with one team playing for a result and the other not playing for anything. It is totally unfair to the third party. Imagine if goal average came into play even. This is avoided in different ways in leagues where promotion and relegation battles appear in the final games of the season: and usually some briefcase is being sent to one team from another or its wealthier fans as an incentive for a team "with nothing to play for" to play for something so that the third party is not left in the cold unfairly. Or by establishing a clear bonus system for points won or wins, or the like.

Archived