USL D1 - Aug 27th Toronto v. Puerto Rico (R)

Steve B

In advance of Robin's full game report Lynx win 1-0 over a sluggish Puerto Rico.

Robin - had the Islanders used all of their subs in this game? They played the last 20 minutes or so with 10 men - and still had a healthy outfield player warming up. Did I miss something?

I didn't notice the Islanders were down a man. They had used up their five subs at 31 minutes (two), halftime, 65, and 71 so that would be all they could bring in. I didn't notice any injuries after this time.

The report will have to wait until tomorrow night. I detoured to see the CSL game of North York Astros and Brampton Stallions.

quote:Originally posted by Steve B

In advance of Robin's full game report Lynx win 1-0 over a sluggish Puerto Rico.

Robin - had the Islanders used all of their subs in this game? They played the last 20 minutes or so with 10 men - and still had a healthy outfield player warming up. Did I miss something?

Steve, were you in Winnipeg for the World Cup Qualifiers a few years back ?

quote:They had used up their five subs at 31 minutes (two), halftime, 65, and 71 so that would be all they could bring in. I didn't notice any injuries after this time.

That explains it - I think it was #9 (Barros-Schelotto) who pulled up lame with what looked like a hamstring at about the 75th minute. He limped around for a bit and then came off and PR played with 10. I hadn't realized that they had used up all five subs - I thought it odd as they still had a guy warming up.

Result of the Sunday August 27, 2006 USL game between Toronto Lynx and Puerto Rico Islanders played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 6:00pm.

15 min…Lynx Marco Bedenikovic GOAL…Bedenikovic from 22 yards on left takes shot over leaping goalie Dan Kennedy and have ball dip down into top right corner of net.

Final Score:……Toronto Lynx……….1……….Puerto Rico Islanders………0……….

Attendance was given at 1265 and I’d estimate about 700 people were there. A rain earlier in the day and the continuing threat probably cut into the walk up crowd on this humid and overcast evening. The field was in pretty bad shape for about the first time this year as the stadium had hosted a CSL game on the wet field on Friday night and then six Ontario Cup games on Saturday.

Theo Zagar earned the shutout for the Lynx with not many shots because of so many good blocks from the Lynx defenders, but a few crucial saves. The Lynx out shot the Islanders 12-3 in the first half but play evened out with both teams getting four shots in the second half. With the early goal, I was expecting a replay of the 4-4 tie from one of last year’s encounters.

Damien Pottinger connected on a leaping header on a cross from Kevin Jeffrey on the right that was over the net from 10 yards at only 20 seconds to get things started. An PRI player had a 20 yard shot land on the top of the Lynx net at 6 minutes. At 12 minutes, Pottinger sent a 20 yard blast up the middle that had the PRI goalie Dan Kennedy fly to push the ball wide right of the post. Robbie Aristodemo’s resulting cornerkick had Rick Titus leap and head a 5 yarder over the net. Aristodemo had another cornerkick from the left at 15 minutes that PRI Noah Delgado headed away from the near post. One minute after the goal David DiPlacido almost doubled the score when his 18 yard shot from left just miss the top right corner. Matt Palleschi chipped a 16 yard shot up the middle when he got the ball in all alone but it was just over the net at 22 minutes. At 37 minutes, Marco Bedenikovic bent in a 25 yard cross from the left that had Palleschi jump and head the ball over the net from 7 yards.

Titus broke up two plays in the Lynx box at 54 minutes and then again at 62 minutes although PRI Gustavo Barros-Schelotto shanked a shot from only 8 yards right after that second play. Kevin Jeffrey almost increased the Lynx lead when he beat a defender and crossed from the right and shot through the box is missed by two Lynx forwards for a tap in.

I’d expected the Islanders to tale off in the second half because they’d played a hard fought 1-1 tie in Rochester the night before but they did well although they couldn’t apply much pressure in the last 15 minutes. PRI had used up their five subs by the 71 minute mark. A messenger on the Voyageur’s board said they played down a man for the last 15 minutes but none of us in the press box noticed they were short or any injuries.

The Islanders wore an orange and white striped uniform with black numbers that made them hard to identify. The folks in the press box were joking that they were the Pizza Pizza colours who are a major sponsor of the Lynx. Other years they’ve worn all blue.

Lynx are undefeated at home in their last seven games although they continue to stay in last place in the league.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Archived