Question about games in Germany

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Specifically, about Hertha Berlin. I am likely going to a game on the 10th against a team from Georgia, UEFA Cup. Anyone been to this stadium, any tips about where to sit, transport to the stadium, etc?

As I am going with a 7 year old will probably not want to be with the radicals, if there are any. I suppose the attendance will be low, still thought someone could have a few ideas.

The stadium is kinda out on its own. Nothing much to do in the immediate area around it. So no need to get there early.

Although I was there for the World Cup, so maybe by now they've throw-away the Budweiser and hot-dog stands and replaced it with a beer garden or something.

Definitely get a seat on the side though, at least 15 rows back or you won't see anything.

Hertha is not a big hools/ultras club so shouldn't be any worries bringing your son especially against an unknown Georgian team. If you really want to have an interesting "German soccer experience" BFC Dynamo is playing on the 11th. A word to the wise, leave the kid at the hotel.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Hertha is not a big hools/ultras club so shouldn't be any worries bringing your son especially against an unknown Georgian team. If you really want to have an interesting "German soccer experience" BFC Dynamo is playing on the 11th. A word to the wise, leave the kid at the hotel.

What division and where does Dynamo play in, sorry I could look it up but I am really asking for more info, as it sounds interesting. Especially a bit worried about zero ambience for this UEFA match, any idea how many might show up for that one, will the stadium be even a quarter full?

I know about tracks, we suffer having to deal with one at the Olympic stadium in Barcelona. It is interesting to see how they analyze seat positioning for football when there is a track, as it forces more than half the seats beyond the limits of the pitch, on the endzones.

I can't imagine a very big crowd for an early round UEFA Cup game against a Georgian team. Mostly the hard core Hertha support and maybe a couple hundred Georgians who live in Berlin. I would be surprised if the stadium were a quarter full. Still might be an interesting game though and sometimes a few thousand handcore supporters create more atmosphere than a larger more docile crowd.

The Dynamo comment was actually sarcastic as I am not sure I would recommend attending a game. Dynamo was one of the big East German teams sponsored by the STASI secret police and have now fallen on hard times after bankruptcies and play in the 4th division. Despite the low division they are probably in the top 5 hooligan clubs in Germany much of which is neo-Nazi skinheads. The game on the 11th is not against a big rival so it might be ok to attend. Probably if you kept to yourself things would be fine. I would buy the most expensive tickets though and not stand by the supporters group. If you still want to go the pictures of the not very impressive stadium are here with a route planner below: http://www.bfcattack.de/bfcdynamo/sportforum.html

If you are still there on the 13th there is a game that I would recommend, 3rd division Union Berlin is playing their home opener against Wilhelmshaven at 2 pm. Union was the underdog East Berlin team but have been better managed since reunification and have bounced between the 2nd and 4th division. They have a significant fanbase that creates a great atmosphere without the hooligan problems that Dynamo has. Their stadium is old but still quite impressive and I think this would be the best game in the city atmosphere wise on that weekend including the Hertha match. A map of the stadium area can be found here: http://www.fc-union-berlin.de/default.php?content=anfahrt

Hertha's reserve team also plays in the 3rd division but have a less interesting match against Leverkusen's reserve team, ie. no fans or atmosphere. The other option would be the 4th division match with Canadian Ryan Thompson's TeBe Berlin playing away at TÜRKIYEMSPOR BERLIN also on the 13th at 2 pm. Stadium directions here: http://www.bfcattack.de/aktuell/stadtpl/oberliga/tuerkiyemspor.html

Guest Jeffery S.

Thanks Grizzly, that Union Berlin game could be okay just as it is on a Sunday midday and easy to take my kid to. Will take a better look at that option.

In any case, all pretty interesting.

Archived