Potential WYC Schedule Problem

I don't want to be alarmist or anything, but I was having a look at how they dealt with the third place teams in the second round, and I found a rather serious problem. I'm also very tired from work so I could be imagining it.

According to FIFA, the second round games involving third place teams is as follows:

38 Toronto 1st D vs. 3rd B, E, F

39 Burnaby 1st B vs. 3rd A, C, D

42 Montreal 1st C vs. 3rd A, B, F

43 Edmonton 1st A vs. 3rd C, D, E

Could anyone take a look at the sched and see if the following permutations of advancing teams work:

ABCD

ABCE

ABDE

ACEF

ADEF

CDEF

The last one is BCDF, which is different than the others. All the others (at least to my tired eyes) don't fit the schedule at all, but BCDF is ambiguous. This is extremely dangerous, as all teams would have a legitimite claim that they should be playing somebody else.

If I'm not insane that means that 7 of 15 possible outcomes don't work. Is that really possible, or am I talking out of my ass?[:I]

Also on the subject of possible schedule problems:

http://cgi.money.canoe.ca/press_release/cnw.html?lang=en&id=20060709182400W5

quote:The Molson Grand Prix of Toronto will be revving up the streets again in 2007 when the stars and cars of the Champ Car World Series take to the Exhibition Place track July 6, 7, 8, 2007.

I believe the day of the race (Sunday, July 8, 2007) is also the date of the final two group matches in Toronto. For those not familiar with Exhibition Place, the new stadium is inside the race course. Part of it uses Ontario Drive, which runs right behind the west side stands of the new stadium.

Are they really going to attempt to have both events on the same day? Even if the race is in the afternoon and U-20 matches in the evening, the area would probably be a mess with crews removing all of the concrete barriers and fencing needed for the race.

quote:Originally posted by Heepster

Also on the subject of possible schedule problems:

http://cgi.money.canoe.ca/press_release/cnw.html?lang=en&id=20060709182400W5

I believe the day of the race (Sunday, July 8, 2007) is also the date of the final two group matches in Toronto. For those not familiar with Exhibition Place, the new stadium is inside the race course. Part of it uses Ontario Drive, which runs right behind the west side stands of the new stadium.

Are they really going to attempt to have both events on the same day? Even if the race is in the afternoon and U-20 matches in the evening, the area would probably be a mess with crews removing all of the concrete barriers and fencing needed for the race.

I don't think they'll start removing all that stuff immediately. Even so, it will be a mess. All the CNE parking will be taken up by the Molson tent and the various other facilities.

It's a worry!

bd

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

I don't think they'll start removing all that stuff immediately. Even so, it will be a mess. All the CNE parking will be taken up by the Molson tent and the various other facilities.

It's a worry!

bd

Tear down never happens immediately after the race. I drive the course in my daily commute and can assure you the barriers and temporary stands from this year's race (and some of the tents) are still there today.

Yes it will be a challenge but this city is really going to have to learn how to host more than one thing at a time....especially if it has any aspirations of hosting something like the Olympics which is, essentially, a consecutive series of multi-event days!

quote:Originally posted by footballfreak

I don't want to be alarmist or anything, but I was having a look at how they dealt with the third place teams in the second round, and I found a rather serious problem. I'm also very tired from work so I could be imagining it.

According to FIFA, the second round games involving third place teams is as follows:

Could anyone take a look at the sched and see if the following permutations of advancing teams work:

ABCD

ABCE

ABDE

ACEF

ADEF

CDEF

The last one is BCDF, which is different than the others. All the others (at least to my tired eyes) don't fit the schedule at all, but BCDF is ambiguous. This is extremely dangerous, as all teams would have a legitimite claim that they should be playing somebody else.

If I'm not insane that means that 7 of 15 possible outcomes don't work. Is that really possible, or am I talking out of my ass?[:I]

Since nobody has replied to your post, I'm assuming (hoping) I'm not the only one who has absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

I'm not saying you're wrong or don't make sense, I just don't understand what you are saying at all.

What exactly is the issue?

Oh wait, maybe I do know what you are talking about. "permutations" *shudder* brought back to many painful memories. Anyways.

quote:Originally posted by footballfreak

ABCD

Is that what you mean? It seems to work, as do the other ones you listed.

As for BCDF, doesn't FIFA have a system to rank the 6 3rd place teams and then place them accordingly?

Archived