sstackho

Canadian Soccer Association announces plans to bid for 2011 women's World Cup

CP

81 words

16 May 2006

02:19

The Canadian Press

English

© 2006 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

TORONTO (CP) _ Canada will bid to play host to the 2011 FIFA women's World Cup, the Canadian Soccer Association announced Monday.

The CSA will present a letter of intent to FIFA president Joseph Blatter at the organization's congress June 7 in Munich.

The bid will be boosted by Toronto's new 20,000-seat soccer stadium, which is under construction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
quote:Originally posted by Canucks fan

Realistically, what do you think our chances are of getting it? I think Australia's bidding for it too.

I don't know when FIFA makes the decision but if it's sometime after 2007, the way the U-20 WC goes next year could influence it.

And three weeks later someone responds.

I doubt FIFA will want to go to that part of the world twice in a row. China is one thing--big country, emerging sports market and all that, but the TV is going to suffer because of the time factor. The women's game can't afford to do that to itself twice in a row.

2011 will be in Canada unless we REALLY drop the ball with the WYC.

And the big show is scheduled to come back here in 2020. Just saying.

Well, 99 and 03 were both in the US. 2011 is probably Europe's turn. Especially considering the WC 2010 and looks like 2014 will not be in Europe. 2011 would be a great way to promote the womens game in Europe.

Although, I do hope it's in Canada, and I do think the U20 WC will have an influence on the decision.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

And the big show is scheduled to come back here in 2020. Just saying.

What big show?

quote:

What big show?

Soccer's biggest show, based on what FIFA is saying, is supposed to be in North America in 2018--my error on the 2020 year.

A lot can happen in that amount of time to make things that don't seem possible today, possible tomorrow.

And the big show has been in the U.S and Mexico. I'm not sure where else in North America it can be held? A joint Central America bid?

But this is a women's forum, so enough on that.

The 2007 WWC was all but awarded to Canada, when SARS forced the 2003 event out of China. Like the WC and Europe, there is a feeling that the WWC should be held in North America as much as possible and FIFA sees a good market for women's soccer in Canada, I think.

Europe will be a factor if they bid, yes. But, again, I think FIFA looks at the women's game as having the biggest potential outside of its bread and butter market. Australia would also be a good choice, but as indicated, I think it's time zone rules it out for 2011.

Archived