Reserve Division vs. Lower Division

hamiltonfan

I've always wondered since i dont no much about reserve sides, what better Reserve Division or Lower Division??

Man U Reserves vs. Millwall??(example only)

what would a EPL reserve team compare to in a English division? What division do they play in or is it just a stricktly reserve division?

Look forward to hearing what you guys think.

It depends on the country

Generally, reserve teams have a reserve division

Notable exceptions are France (where reserve teams can promote to 2 or 3 divisions lower than the A team) and Spain (some reserve teams are even in division 2 !)

I think it's not good for a good competition as the reserve teams depend too much on the events happening in the A team but with conditions like we have here, it would be more realist to let reserve teams play in the regular competition, some divisions lower (2 or, better, 3)

Lower division systems have a higher level of play than the reserve divisions and are much more competitive, ie. the players are playing for something beyond solely impressive the first division coaches in a firendly match. This is a system that suits the big first division clubs interests very well in that it develops their players better and has the effect of suppressing their competition. The big problem with the lower division system is that it is unfair to smaller clubs and their fans. Most of them do not have the budget to compete with the reserve teams of major clubs. It makes the league results unfair, the same reserve team may play one week with under 20's and the next with a lineup half filled with internationals trying to get back into form or recover from an injury. Bad luck for the team who in the midst of a promotion campaign hits the reserve club playing with half 1st team players. The reserve teams don't bring many fans to away games hurting the revenues of the small clubs and destroying any game atmosphere.

As a supporter of a lower division German club I have suffered under the B-teams in lower division system for many years and absolutely despise it. This system has greatly contributed to keeping my club and many others with a strong tradition down and ensuring that when they do promote they get relegated again. Sure it is good for Dortmund to have their reserve team in the third division but I don't think it is good for German soccer as a whole. Some countries have an independent reserve league structure, ie. a 2nd division team could have its reserve team in the top reserve league. I think England is like this. I prefer the structure that I have watched in Russia in which the reserve team travels with the 1st team and plays a match against the same opponent's reserve team a day before the 1st team match. This actually lends a bit of importance and interest to the matches and in Russia the day before match day the reserve results are reported which adds a bit of drama and background to the actual first team match.

Archived