Canucks in Germany - February 2006

Guest Ed

Two games involving Canucks today in the Bundesliga 2.

Daniel Imhof and his first place VfL Bochum club are home to LR Ahlen today and are up 1-0 at halftime.

Tam Nsaliwa and 1. FC Saarbruecken have an important 1-0 lead away to Sportfreunde Siegen in a relegation fight as Siegen (in 14th place with 20 points) are one of the teams Tam and company (in 17th place with 16 points) have to catch to pull themselves out of relegation territory (the 4 spots - 15 through 18 - go down).

Big wins for both Canadians today.

VfL Bochum finish 3-0 over LR Ahlen and stretch their first place margin to 6 points, with Daniel Imhof drawing a PK on the last goal.

FC Saarbruecken have a great 4-0 win away, moving to the top of the relegation zone, just a point behind the first safe team Siegen. All done without their star player Hadji.

Kevin McKenna will start at the back as Energie Cottbus are away to SC Paderborn on Sunday, and Nik Ledgerwood (hopefully) and 1860 Muenchen host regional rivals Greuther Fuerth on Monday (no squads announced yet).

Sunday's 0-0 draw away to SC Paderborn doesn't help Energie Cottbus in their promotion hunt with McKenna playing 90 minutes. Cottbus can make up some ground as they will be away to Eintracht Braunschweig on Wednesday to replay their twice postponed round 18 game.

Nik Ledgerwood is scheduled to start as a midfielder today as 1860 Muenchen host Greuther Fuerth. A win is needed to put them back in the promotion races. Greuther Fuerth hold the 3rd and final promotion spot with 33 pts, 4 ahead of 1860 at 29 pts.

All Canucks were rated decently this weekend, pending Nik's play today.

Great start for Nik Ledgerwood on the left flank today. His cross is converted for an early lead at home, now up 2-0 20 minutes in, before 38,000 fans in Munich.

Greuther Furth come back in the dying moments to tie the game 2-2. Nik was substituted for 10 minutes into the 2nd half, with his team ahead 2-1. He had a chance very early as well, so sounds like he showed well on the attack.

Tam Nsaliwa has now played the last 8 straight games for FC Saarbruecken. He came on in the 2nd half 9 games ago (against Hansa Rostock - down 2-0) and has played every minute since. In that time, the poorest defence in the Bundesliga 2 has turned into a brick wall. The team has 39 goals against in 20 games but they have given up only 7 goals in the last 8 games, and have only one loss (3 goals to nil to leaders VfL Bochum) in that span and 4 clean sheets. Things are definitely looking better for Tam and company.

Coming up this weekend in the Bundesliga 2:

Nik Ledgerwood is slated to start again in midfield as 1860 Muenchen are away to Dynamo Dresden tomorrow. His club is in 6th place, currently 4 points off the last promotion spot.

Kevin McKenna will start in the back 4 as Energie Cottbus host Sportfreunde Siegen on Sunday. Cottbus sit in 8th, 5 points off the promotion pace.

First place VfL Bochum and Daniel Imhof are away to Hansa Rostock on Monday.

FC Saarbruecken were to play at home to Alemannia Aachen this weekend but their field is unplayable and the game is rescheduled for March 29th. An article in Kicker today talks about how confident the players were going in against the 2nd place club after their big win last weekend.

Nik Ledgerwood stays on the bench as 1860 Muenchen drop a 2-0 decision to Dynamo Dresden, dropping further back in the promotion race.

Kevin McKenna and Energie Cottbus win 1-0 over Sportfreunde Siegen. The big Canuck takes a yellow late in the first half and has a couple of chances on set pieces as his club climbs to 7th, 3 pts out of the last promotion place.

Sulentic comes on in minute 64 as Pauli tie Dusseldorf 1-1 and stay in a promotion spot.

No Ledgerwood for 1860 as they tie relegation candidate Offenbach at home 1-1. New coach Schachner doesn't seem as impressed by Ledgerwood as the previous coach. Results have not improved under Schachner though and 1860 is now 8 points from a promotion spot in 12th spot. I am not a big fan of clubs in 4th or 5th place changing coaches mid season because they expect to promote. This is almost always a sign of poor management.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

.... No Ledgerwood for 1860 as they tie relegation candidate Offenbach at home 1-1. New coach Schachner doesn't seem as impressed by Ledgerwood as the previous coach. ....

I think you are extrapolating a fair bit there. Nik was reported to have an injury which is why he was not on the field or the bench on Friday.

O.K. I didn't know that he was injured for this game. However, his playing time has diminished under Schachner before the injury while he seemed to be destined to be a starter under Maurer. I think Schachner is a good coach but so is Maurer. I have seen a lot of teams fire their coach when they are a few spots out of promotion and the result is usually not positive even when the replacement is decent. Fire the coach if you expect to be the table leader and are in 12th (which is where they currently stand though the table is tight). Don't fire him when you are 4 points out of a promotion spot.

Nik came on as a late sub in Schachner's debut, showed well and started the next game against Greuther Fuerth and came off shortly after the half due to injury and hasn't been able to play since. When I posted the update on the game against Dynamo Dresden last week, I hadn't realized he was injured as Kicker had him in the starting lineup in their preview. In fact Nik was injured the week before and was out. I see no evidence that the coach doesn't think quite highly of him.

I didn't realize he was injured either and assumed he had to win his starting spot again after finally making the first team. Still not crazy about the coaching change even though I think highly of Schachner. Hasn't paid off so far and even though I think he will be an effective coach next year I also think Maurer would have been effective. I find when teams are so impatient as 1860 was that it usually means some poor management and such decisions often seem to backfire and cause a club to take longer to promote than if they had been a bit more patient.

Daniel Imhof sets up VfL Bochum's opening goal as the Bundesliga 2 leaders only manage a 1-1 draw at home vs Greuther Fuerth today.

Energie Cottbus are away to Alemannia Aachen tomorrow.

Another 0-0 draw for Energie Cottbus with Kevin McKenna going 90 minutes in central defence. Still within distance of the promotion zone but they will need to put together some wins.

Big win for Kevin McKenna and Energie Cottbus today in the Bundesliga 2 as they storm back from a 1-0 halftime deficit with 4 goals in the 2nd half to win 4-1 over Wacker Burghausen. The win moves them into 4th place overall, just out of the promotion zone on an inferior goal difference to SC Paderborn. Things of course could change over the weekend with Sunday and Monday results pending.

Also, FC Saarbruecken draw at home 1-1 vs higher placed Erzebirge Aue and are now the top placed team in relegation territory. A far cry from the deep deep cellar position they were in almost the entire first half of the season. Tam Nsaliwa, who earned 10 caps with Canada at the senior level under H. Osieck, goes another 90 minutes in FCS's recently strong defense.

Daniel Imhof and VfL Bochum could lengthen their lead in the Bundesliga 2 (and do a favour to Tam and FC Saarbruecken) as they are away to Dynamo Dresden on Sunday.

No lineups yet for Monday's game featuring 1860 Muenchen (and possibly Nik Ledgerwood) away to SC Freiburg.

The 1860 Munchen coach said today that Nik Ledgerwood could be ready for Monday's game as he's trained a couple of times now coming off injury. Nice to hear he's back and nice to hear the coach mentioning Nik in his preview.

Archived