The problem with the MLS

condor

Here one of the reasons why Saputo he won't to go to the MLS

Unlike other pro sports leagues, MLS is organized as a "single-entity" organization, meaning the league (and not the individual teams) contracts directly with the players. As a result, MLS is able to control spending and labour costs, implement a revenue-sharing scheme, and promote parity across the league.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/mls_toronto/

Condor, then Saputo should not raise any issue on the exclusitivity of MLS in Canada. On the stade front, all he has to do is apply for funding from all levels of government and i'm sure he would receive something to offset costs. Governments are always obliged to assist with the building of facilities that promote athletics here in Canada/Quebec, however, the days of the government solely putting up the coin for enormous, outlandish monstrosities (sp??) ie; Olympic stade and the Skydome are a thing of the past. I think if it is for int'l exposure, it appears they don't mind footing a good majority of the bill.

One of the problems both Sauto and the Whitecaps have is that they do not own the rights to players. The MLs has all the players, so if they get sold to europe they don't get the money. Also because of the draft players you develop from a young age and local players can go anywhere.

This has got me thinking, is it Fifa legal for Kerfoot and Saputo (or anyone else for this matter) to buy a fourth division european club sign all their young players to that team and then 'loan' them to their MLS team?

quote:Originally posted by condor

Here one of the reasons why Saputo he won't to go to the MLS

Unlike other pro sports leagues, MLS is organized as a "single-entity" organization, meaning the league (and not the individual teams) contracts directly with the players. As a result, MLS is able to control spending and labour costs, implement a revenue-sharing scheme, and promote parity across the league.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/mls_toronto/

The truth on Saputo is he does not want to put money into cash calls. Simple. He wants all of it. Is not willing to put up any of his money.

Keerfoot on the other hand has to wait till 2010 when his stadium will be ready.

Well, the Impact is currently a non-profit club whose eventual goal is to be self-sustaining. The budget is around $2m Canadian. MLS losses are, what? $2.5m US per year per club?

What it comes down to is that the Impact as a non-profit entity can't get involved in something where there's a huge deficit each year. You need to control all the revenue and spending, which is impossible in MLS.

but with the advent of the SSS in Columbus and L.A., ink has changed from red to black. with Chicago next year, Metrostars, Salt Lake and Colorado in the following year plus T.O., all these new SSS, debts will be shaved and i'm pretty sure profits will be made and respectability will be gained.

People want financial stability, look how the CFL has turned around esp. out east (forget Ottawa for now).

quote:Originally posted by Franky

but with the advent of the SSS in Columbus and L.A., ink has changed from red to black. with Chicago next year, Metrostars, Salt Lake and Colorado in the following year plus T.O., all these new SSS, debts will be shaved and i'm pretty sure profits will be made and respectability will be gained.

Only if they put more events in other than soccer to allow them to turn a profit on the stadium. That doesn't mean teams will turn a profit either and they will still be in debt over stadium construction costs.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

One of the problems both Sauto and the Whitecaps have is that they do not own the rights to players. The MLs has all the players, so if they get sold to europe they don't get the money. Also because of the draft players you develop from a young age and local players can go anywhere.

This has got me thinking, is it Fifa legal for Kerfoot and Saputo (or anyone else for this matter) to buy a fourth division european club sign all their young players to that team and then 'loan' them to their MLS team?

It might be FIFA legal, but MLS wouldn't allow it because it would totally break their concept, and ultimately all contracts have to go through them for approval.

Jason

Archived