Santos vs Sporting

Jarrek

Lets us know how the games goes. I wont be there. I dont like Brazil and Sporting is not my cup of tea. Though I did enjoy watching my team kick them out of Champions League.

I saw Santos in the early 70's with Pele play the Toronto Metro's full house at Varsity. Was a great game.

I read on Santos' website that they are bringing a team made up of fringe starters, reserve players, and some youth players. But that may not be a bad thing since the first team just got crushed by Corinthians (7-1).

I will not be there. While I do follow the Brasileiro, I will not be available that evening and not really a Santos fan anyway. I don't follow the Portuguese league.

Interesting, there are a couple of Brazilian delegations travelling in Ontario (that I am aware of) this week. I am guessing this game might be an evening activity for some of them.

I read on Santos' website that they are bringing a team made up of fringe starters, reserve players, and some youth players. But that may not be a bad thing since the first team just got crushed by Corinthians (7-1).

I will not be there. While I do follow the Brasileiro, I will not be available that evening and not really a Santos fan anyway. I don't follow the Portuguese league.

Interesting, there are a couple of Brazilian delegations travelling in Ontario (that I am aware of) this week. I am guessing this game might be an evening activity for some of them.

SPORTING CP ROSTER FOR TORONTO: GK: Tiago, Nélson; DEF: Rogério, Polga, Beto, Tello, Paíto, Edson, André Marques, MID: Carlos Martins, Luís Loureiro, Nani; FWD: Wender, Deivid, Silva, Pinilla...Team arrives Monday at 4:35pm at Pearson International Airport...Liedson & Sa Pinto are injured and did not make the trip...João Alves & Ricardo are with the National Team...Custódio, João Moutinho, Miguel Garcia, Semedo, and Varela are with U-21 National Team...Santos are reportedly bringing their best pool of young talent in their system...There is press conference in the works for sometime on Tuesday afternoon with coach and a player.

I was at the soccer game last night, and a hockey game broke out. If you are a soccer fan, it would have been a good game to go to. Lots of goals, a few good saves, and lots of nice touches. Unfortunately, the organizers decided only to open one gate (7 doors) to let 20,000 people in. We had to wait in line for over 30 minutes just to get in. I got to my seat just as the game started, but several thousand people were still outside. Oh well.

NEIL DAVIDSON

Wed Nov 9, 9:18 PM ET

TORONTO (CP) - Sporting Club de Portugal defeated a lightweight Santos lineup Wednesday, dispatching the defending Brazilian club champion 5-3 in an exhibition soccer game before a modest crowd under the dome at the Rogers Centre.

ADVERTISEMENT

The score flattered a lacklustre Santos squad, who rallied from a 2-0 deficit with a pair of lucky goals early in the second half. Substitute Silva put Sporting back in the lead in the 62nd minute on a well-placed header before fellow Brazilian Anderson Polga made it 4-2 two minutes later with another header off a corner.

Ralf scored a consolation goal for Santos in the 77th minute before Silva stretched the lead to 5-3 in the 83rd minute, turning on a defender and slamming the ball just inside the far post from close range.

There were goals galore - seven by Brazilians and one by a Chilean - but few moments of inspiration. Still the goalfest added to the entertainment factor and the enthusiastic crowd enjoyed itself by singing and doing the wave as the clock wound down.

Both teams fielded subpar lineups with stars away on international duty. Others were injured or left at home to avoid the long trip to Canada for a meaningless one-off friendly played on artificial FieldTurf.

Sporting fielded a couple of regulars, filling out the lineup with reserve first-team players. Tiago, who started in goal Wednesday, is third-choice when the games mean something. He gave way to Nelson, the club's normal backup, in the second half.

Santos' lineup, meanwhile, had virtually no connection to its normal 11. Instead B players and juniors filled out the white kit that was once worn by Pele.

The Brazilian side did boast a Ronaldo but this No. 9 was Ronaldo Rodrigues da Silva, not the one at Real Madrid or Manchester United. This Ronaldo was subbed early in the second half, after scything a Sporting player to the ground.

Thanks to the large Portuguese population in Toronto, the crowd was solidly behind Sporting with many wearing the team's green-hooped shirt.

Lisbon-based Sporting took control early on, regularly slashing open the Santos defence with nifty through balls or runs, only to fail at the finish. Still it could have been 5-0 after 45 minutes had it not been for some sloppy finishing and acrobatic stops from Santos 'keeper Gustavo.

Deivid, a Brazilian forward who has played in seven of Sporting's 10 league games this season, took advantage of some slack defending in the 22nd minute to open Sporting's account via a corner. Deivid rose high at the far post to beat two defenders and nod the ball down into the goal.

Chilean forward Mauricio Pinilla made it 2-0 in the 39th minute, easily slotting a rebound home after a powerful shot from a teammate deflected off the post and fell right into his path.

Santos pulled one back in the 47th minute on a fortuitous long-range shot by Elton that deflected off a defender. Alexandre tied it in the 57th minute on a dubious penalty awarded when teammate Beto collapsed somewhat mysteriously several seconds after what appeared to be minimal contact.

The journey north might have been a respite for Santos, which was humbled 7-1 by rival Corinthians in its last league outing. The loss was the third straight for Santos, eighth in the Brazilian standings at 15-12-10.

It also came two days after irate fans disrupted the team's practice.

Santos' head coach, Nelsinho Baptista, apparently didn't even make the trip. Assistant Humberto Grondana spoke for the team Tuesday at a news conference.

Sporting, with 22 league titles to its credit, stands fifth in Portugal with a 5-3-2 mark.

Notes: Goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld has withdrawn from the Canadian squad that will face Luxembourg on Nov. 16. Canadian coach Frank Yallop has replaced the Tromso 'keeper with 18-year-old Asmir Begovic, currently on loan with La Louviere of the Belgian first division. The other goalie in the squad is Kenny Stamatopoulos, who started in Canada's last outing, a 2-1 loss to Spain . . . Larry Tanenbaum, Richard Peddie and Bob Hunter will represent Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. at this weekend's MLS Cup in Frisco, Texas. But the league does not expect to make a final announcement during the championship on Toronto's expansion bid

I was at the soccer game last night, and a hockey game broke out. If you are a soccer fan, it would have been a good game to go to. Lots of goals, a few good saves, and lots of nice touches. Unfortunately, the organizers decided only to open one gate (7 doors) to let 20,000 people in. We had to wait in line for over 30 minutes just to get in. I got to my seat just as the game started, but several thousand people were still outside. Oh well.

NEIL DAVIDSON

Wed Nov 9, 9:18 PM ET

TORONTO (CP) - Sporting Club de Portugal defeated a lightweight Santos lineup Wednesday, dispatching the defending Brazilian club champion 5-3 in an exhibition soccer game before a modest crowd under the dome at the Rogers Centre.

ADVERTISEMENT

The score flattered a lacklustre Santos squad, who rallied from a 2-0 deficit with a pair of lucky goals early in the second half. Substitute Silva put Sporting back in the lead in the 62nd minute on a well-placed header before fellow Brazilian Anderson Polga made it 4-2 two minutes later with another header off a corner.

Ralf scored a consolation goal for Santos in the 77th minute before Silva stretched the lead to 5-3 in the 83rd minute, turning on a defender and slamming the ball just inside the far post from close range.

There were goals galore - seven by Brazilians and one by a Chilean - but few moments of inspiration. Still the goalfest added to the entertainment factor and the enthusiastic crowd enjoyed itself by singing and doing the wave as the clock wound down.

Both teams fielded subpar lineups with stars away on international duty. Others were injured or left at home to avoid the long trip to Canada for a meaningless one-off friendly played on artificial FieldTurf.

Sporting fielded a couple of regulars, filling out the lineup with reserve first-team players. Tiago, who started in goal Wednesday, is third-choice when the games mean something. He gave way to Nelson, the club's normal backup, in the second half.

Santos' lineup, meanwhile, had virtually no connection to its normal 11. Instead B players and juniors filled out the white kit that was once worn by Pele.

The Brazilian side did boast a Ronaldo but this No. 9 was Ronaldo Rodrigues da Silva, not the one at Real Madrid or Manchester United. This Ronaldo was subbed early in the second half, after scything a Sporting player to the ground.

Thanks to the large Portuguese population in Toronto, the crowd was solidly behind Sporting with many wearing the team's green-hooped shirt.

Lisbon-based Sporting took control early on, regularly slashing open the Santos defence with nifty through balls or runs, only to fail at the finish. Still it could have been 5-0 after 45 minutes had it not been for some sloppy finishing and acrobatic stops from Santos 'keeper Gustavo.

Deivid, a Brazilian forward who has played in seven of Sporting's 10 league games this season, took advantage of some slack defending in the 22nd minute to open Sporting's account via a corner. Deivid rose high at the far post to beat two defenders and nod the ball down into the goal.

Chilean forward Mauricio Pinilla made it 2-0 in the 39th minute, easily slotting a rebound home after a powerful shot from a teammate deflected off the post and fell right into his path.

Santos pulled one back in the 47th minute on a fortuitous long-range shot by Elton that deflected off a defender. Alexandre tied it in the 57th minute on a dubious penalty awarded when teammate Beto collapsed somewhat mysteriously several seconds after what appeared to be minimal contact.

The journey north might have been a respite for Santos, which was humbled 7-1 by rival Corinthians in its last league outing. The loss was the third straight for Santos, eighth in the Brazilian standings at 15-12-10.

It also came two days after irate fans disrupted the team's practice.

Santos' head coach, Nelsinho Baptista, apparently didn't even make the trip. Assistant Humberto Grondana spoke for the team Tuesday at a news conference.

Sporting, with 22 league titles to its credit, stands fifth in Portugal with a 5-3-2 mark.

Notes: Goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld has withdrawn from the Canadian squad that will face Luxembourg on Nov. 16. Canadian coach Frank Yallop has replaced the Tromso 'keeper with 18-year-old Asmir Begovic, currently on loan with La Louviere of the Belgian first division. The other goalie in the squad is Kenny Stamatopoulos, who started in Canada's last outing, a 2-1 loss to Spain . . . Larry Tanenbaum, Richard Peddie and Bob Hunter will represent Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. at this weekend's MLS Cup in Frisco, Texas. But the league does not expect to make a final announcement during the championship on Toronto's expansion bid

Archived