MLS earnings

jordan

quote:Originally posted by jordan

This may have already been requested before but i cannot remember but i have a stats class and i need info on earnings in MLS, so if in anyone can point me in that direction that would be great

thanks jordan

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/soccer/01/06/mls.salaries.sa/index.html

2004 is the best I can find but if you search www.socceramerica.com you may find 2005 figures,

Wow! Carlos Ruiz made 70,000 this year!?! That's the most ridiculous thing I have read (in a long, long time) regarding athlete's salaries. How is that possible? He's hardly a rookie either, which I think would be the only explanation why a player of that caliber makes that poor of a salary. Did he sign a five year contract when he first hit the MLS?? Surely he could make a lot more in Mexico or Brazil or in the CC Championship, all leagues where Ruiz could easily play. Man, the MLS is weird!?!

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Wow! Carlos Ruiz made 70,000 this year!?! That's the most ridiculous thing I have read (in a long, long time) regarding athlete's salaries. How is that possible? He's hardly a rookie either, which I think would be the only explanation why a player of that caliber makes that poor of a salary. Did he sign a five year contract when he first hit the MLS?? Surely he could make a lot more in Mexico or Brazil or in the CC Championship, all leagues where Ruiz could easily play. Man, the MLS is weird!?!

Ruiz is technically still on loan from a club in Guatemala, or at least partially owned by them, so they still pay a chunk of his salary. The 70k figure is only what MLS pays him. So in reality, Ruiz makes more than 70k, probably much more, but we really don't know.

quote:Originally posted by Ryan Keay

Ruiz is technically still on loan from a club in Guatemala, or at least partially owned by them, so they still pay a chunk of his salary. The 70k figure is only what MLS pays him. So in reality, Ruiz makes more than 70k, probably much more, but we really don't know.

Thanks for that- interesting stuff. Still, and especially if you've ever been to Guatemala, it's hard to imagine a Guatemalan club paying anywhere close to what he probably deserves. I mean, why wouldn't this guy be worth at least a top ten MLS salary- something closer to the salary which Donovan makes- he is a stylish goal poacher and he must be a huge draw for Latinos in America.

Ruiz is out of contract at the end of this season. Whether or not MLS will resign him remains to be seen. Of course, I think MLS is more concerned that they'll be able to cash in on Eddie Johnson. If they do, they'd likely splash the cash for Ruiz. However, if you believe the conspiracy theorists in the Big D, the league won't care if they lose both strikers abroad. After all, this is the team that the league took away its rights to Freddy Adu and placed him in DC.

Archived