CPSL Playoff Week [R]

Great reporting again Robin.

I hope everyone appreciates the work you do for the love of the game.

Here is a small correction...

"Sa Brahima Traore earned the shutout for Blue Devils. He was good but was fortunate to have backup including a chance at 82 minutes when a Thunder player was running around the goalie near the right edge of the box and he crossed to center where another HT player kicks a 25 yard shot that OBD Aaron Steele headed away from 5 yards off the goal line."

That was OBD #2 Jamie Fairweather that made the goal line header.

Well I went down to North York for the final today, The game started out slow, Vaughan scored first in the 36th minute. Oakville dominated the rest of the half. 1 Minute into the second half Oakville capitalized on a defensive miscue by Vaughan and equalized in the 46th/47th minute. The rest of the half was dominated by the Shooters of Vaughan. Vaughan had about 4 or 5 chances to win it, but they couldn't capitalized, including a chip shot over the Oakville keeper that was just cleared off the line by a defender in injury time. 10 minutes into extra time, a couple nice passes by Oakville sent one of their players in on the keeper he crossed it into the middle where it was slotted home by a Blue Devil in the 110th minute. Your 2005 CPSL champions are the Oakville Blue Devils.

no it was 100 minutes ie the 10th minute of overtime. Goalscorer Ryan Gamble who just came on at the start of overtime.

36 minutes..Stalin Cardenos scores for Vaughan. 46 minutes..Sergio DeLuca scores to tie.

Crowd announced at 728 which had to be an exageration but it was the biggest crowd I've seen at any CPSL game this year.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

no it was 100 minutes ie the 10th minute of overtime. Goalscorer Ryan Gamble who just came on at the start of overtime.

36 minutes..Stalin Cardenos scores for Vaughan. 46 minutes..Sergio DeLuca scores to tie.

Crowd announced at 728 which had to be an exageration but it was the biggest crowd I've seen at any CPSL game this year.

Correct you are, my mistake.

Saturday October 9th, 2005 CPSL Awards Banquet (by Rocket Robin)

Awards given out at "La Contessa Banquet Hall" in North York at the CPSL Awards Banquet last night. North York Astros were the hosts this year. The element of surprise was gone this year for the individual awards as the trophies were all on display on a table so it was easy to read the plaque names. The last few years they've had a sheet over them so it's somewhat of a surprise. I know the winners are probably tipped off so they'll most likely to show up to be presented with their trophies.

I thought attendance was down from last year with maybe only 120 people there (16 tables for ten with some empty and some not completely full). This year the dinner was held on a different day then any games were played. MC of the event was the Astros announcer Enio Perruzza. He toned it down from his usual loud voice for this small event. Any fan on Friday night's game between Astros and Toronto Croatia can probably remember that the DJ who sent his son this night forgot his microphone so Enio just yelled the names out the open window of the press box. I don't think anyone in the stands couldn't hear him!

No speeches until the end because there were a lot of prizes to give out:

1. Game official of the year (presented by Hugh Elliott): Andre Jasinski (Elliott said Jasinski had refereed the Glasgow Rangers exhibition game and drew compliments from Ally McLeish who said "I didn't know Canada had such high caliber refereeing").

2. Coach of the year (presented by member of Toronto Council Pete Lo Preti): Dejan Gluscevic (from North York Astros). This came with a $150 cheque.

3. Eastern Runner Up (presented by Clifford Dell): Toronto Croatia; accepted by club official Theo Krajacic (interesting after the ceremony that of his two cardboard boxes holding a trophy for each individual player, he told me "the players aren't interested in runner up trophies so we'll pull off the plate and put on our sponsor's name and give it to them).

4. Eastern Champions: (presented by Clifford Dell): Vaughan Shooters; accepted by Tony DeThomasis.

5. Western Runner Up (presented by Hector Marinaro): Oakville Blue Devils; accepted by club official Goran Miscevic.

6. Western Champions: (presented by Hector Marinaro): Hamilton Thunder; no one there to accept.

7. Goal Scorer (presented by Vince Ursini I think): Aaron Byrd from Border Stars with 20 goals.

8. Open Cup Runner Up (presented by Vince Ursini): London City; accepted by a player I didn't recognize.

9. Open Cup Champions (presented by Vince Ursini): Border Stars; accepted by owner/player/coach Jeff Hodgson.

10. Fair Play Award (presented by Peter Lo Preti): North York Astros; accepted by owner Bruno Ierullo. This came with a $500 cheque.

11. CPSL MVP (presented by Cary Kaplan): Desi Humphrey from Vaughan Shooters.

12. CPSL Rookie of the year (presented by referee Amato De Luca): Dennis Peeters from London City.

13. Goalkeeper of the year (presented by Stan Adamson): Haider Al-Shaibani from London City.

14. Defender of the year (presented by Stan Adamson): Filip Rocca from Border Stars.

15. Women's Canada Cup (presented by Bruno Ierullo): York Region Lady Shooters; accepted by Tony DeThomasis.

16. Service Awards (presented by Cary Kaplan): Vince Ursini and Tony DeThomasis.

17. Colin Linford speech: CPSL has a place in the structure of the OSA. There is a place for all of us to play. It's good that CPSL is involved in female sides now.

18. Stan Adamson speech: CPSL has a high level of play in CPSL, "it's entertainment", it's his four years and no-one has said to him "I've wasted my $10." we're focused on what needs to be done to correct the negative. It's an "investment" (not in the financial sense) for the greater good. What can we do to help the league? Improve the quality of the game. Checking the player cards for player eligibility is demeaning. Thanks the media for good print and web sites.

19. Cary Kaplan speech: excellent players in this league. Excellent officiating. A lot of work to do. The league has "survived" for 83 years but now it needs to "thrive". The league has strong owners (then he ran through them all except mentioning Durham Storm). There'll be changes in some team names next year with ethnic names again. He was impressed by the exhibition game between CPSL all stars and Glasgow Rangers (0-0 at halftime), the women's open cup has started and the CPSL did it! CPSL it's not about soccer. [Huh?]. We need 2, 3, 4000 fans per game and we have a chance to do that. "Surviving is finished, thriving is next!" it's been his pleasure and privilege to be involved in the league.

MC Enio makes the last announcement: The host of the 2006 CPSL Championships will once again be North York Astros... (The next day he said they were also awarded the 2007 CPSL Championships too). At least on artificial turf at this time of year, they won't have to worry about a playing in a mud pit.

Wrapped up by 10:00pm. All this took place in less than 60 minutes.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Result of the Monday October 10th, 2005 CPSL game between Vaughan Shooters and Oakville Blue Devils played at Esther Shiner Stadium in North York at 4:00pm. This was the CPSL Championship game.

36 min...Shooters Stalin Cardenas GOAL...VS Danny Sanna corner kick from right has OBD defender head ball away for partial clearance but Cardenas from 25 yards blasted ball into left side of net through crowd of players leaving goalie Sa Brahima Traore no chance.

46 min...Blue Devils Sergio De Luca GOAL...OBD Jeremy Sheppard centers low cross from left and De Luca blasts low 16 yard shot up middle into left side of net.

100 min...Blue Devils Ryan Gamble GOAL...Gamble boots ball from center up field to left sideline for charging OBD Gabriel Pop who runs to about 20 yards being cut off by defender then rolls centering pass for charging Gamble who blasts 22 yard shot into top left corner of net beyond goalie Brian Bowes.

Final Score:...........Vaughan Shooters..........1 (OT).............Oakville Blue Devils...........2 (OT).............

Attendance was announced as 728 although I think that was an exaggeration. Maybe 400 on this cool damp afternoon with a misty rain starting at halftime and stopping sometime in the second half.

The Shooters really pressured in the second half after the Blue Devils tying goal. Matthew Palleschi had many of the good chances with his speed but his shooting was off-target today and there was some good defending. His father says Matthew will play indoor in the new CPSL league and then in January will try out for some Scottish teams. Matthew was born in Canada but both his parents were born in Italy so he has a coveted EU passport.

Ryan Gamble had come in at the beginning of the overtime period. It actually took less than ten minutes of play because Shooters forward Jason DeThomasis was injured and after being taken to the far side of the field didn't want to be subbed but eventually came off after being down three minutes and another two minutes of play where at the next whistle he finally left after pulling his shirt off and throwing it on the field where he made way for Aundre Rollins. Good thing a Shooters official reached over and pulled it off the field of play as the fourth official was upset by the display.

This was a game to greet all the journalists who come out a few times a year. Well guys. Can't beat my record which today made it 41 CPSL games this year! After the game I was invited into the hospitality room for dinner and could mingle with the players. So Gabriel Pop is the Oakville Blue Devils player's real name. In prior years I've called him Gabriel Pop Salustius but Salustius is really a third name and 'Pop' is his family name. Blue Devils goalie Sa Brahima Traore who I remember from the Ottawa Wizards has played as an African national with Burkina Faso but he said he really is from Ottawa.

League commissioner Cary Kaplan I saw at a game for only the second time this year that I can remember and he presented the trophy then the players posed for pictures.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

The was a very good game and the winning goal was a fitting end...

Hey Daniel, I was talking to Matt Palleschi's dad and he said Matt actually made the Impact squad last year (he has 5 jersey's with Matt's name on it) before issues came up about a hand injury.

The Impact even helped arrange for him to has his operation in Montreal (quicker than he could have gotten it in T.O.)

If he doesn't catch on in Europe this winter - look for him at Impact camp next season...

Blue Devils win CPSL championship

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2005/10/10/1256684-cp.html

TORONTO (CP) - Ryan Gamble scored the winning goal at the stroke of 100 minutes as the Oakville Blue Devils beat the Vaughan Shooters 2-1 to win the Canadian Professional Soccer League championship Monday.

The winning goal came following a 1-1 tie at the end of regulation 90 minutes on goals by Vaughan midfielder Stalin Cardenas and Oakville's Sergio De Luca.

Cardenas caught the net with a drive from 30 yards at the 37th minute mark. The tying goal by Oakville's Sergio De Luca one minute after the interval.

While the first half was an even end-to-end contest, Vaughan had most of the play in the second half, failing with several opportunities to win the game handily.

There were near-misses by Matthew Palleschi, Frankie Bruno and Darryl Gomez.

Goalkeeper Sa Brahima Traore made several key saves in the Oakville net to keep his side in the game.

Oakville defeated Hamilton Thunder 2-0 and Vaughan blanked Toronto Croatia 4-0 in the semifinals Saturday.

Shooters midfielder Desmond Humphrey was the league's MVP and Aaron Byrd of the Windsor Border Stars was the top goalscorer with 20 goals.

Dennis Peeters of London City was named the rookie of the year. Dejan Gluscevic of North York Astros was the coach of the year. Filip Rocca of Windsor was the best defender and Haider Al-Shaibani of London City was named the CPSL's top goalkeeper.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Ryan Gamble had come in at the beginning of the overtime period. It actually took less than ten minutes of play because Shooters forward Jason DeThomasis was injured and after being taken to the far side of the field didn't want to be subbed but eventually came off after being down three minutes and another two minutes of play where at the next whistle he finally left after pulling his shirt off and throwing it on the field where he made way for Aundre Rollins. Good thing a Shooters official reached over and pulled it off the field of play as the fourth official was upset by the display.

He's the owners son isn't he? I would think that most players would receive quite a heavy reprimand or even a team suspension for that type of spoiled brat behaviour.

db

Yep that's the owner's son. Didn't he kick a pop can and it almost hit you when he left the field up in Aurora years ago?

In other CPSL news: Some execs of the league will be on the Stormin' Norman (Rumack) show on The Fan 590 most probably next week. Since you can listen to that station on the web, if I find out the times they're on, I'll post. Since he's known as the Midnight Vampire, he's on really late in Toronto but it would be really convenient for West coast fans.

Archived