Sudbury Canadians Reach Out

sudcan

Rino Boschetto: General Manger

We want to thank the many people who have emailed us and have sent us suggestions. We have been somewhat taken back by the fact that many of you have taken the time. We sincerely appreciate your positive comments and especially your suggestions. Across this province there are some fine soccer people and some of you while not from the North have been absolutely great!

Just to clear up some of the misconceptions. The Sudbury Canadians have been actively trying to recruit national pool players and we are well aware of the fact that the W league teams require this level of player. We have seen first hand the kind of impact that a Melanie Booth (Lynx) and Kelly Parker (Fury) can have on a team and there is no doubt that we would love to have this kind of player on our team. Our current reality is that most of our players are high school players or CIS players and we only a small amount of NCAA players albeit that number is increasing each year. We know what is required to play in the W. The question is how to get there.

Ironically when it comes to the business side of our club we are very stable primarily because our whole history has been dependent on travel and we have managed to secure a very supportive Northern community. We have even tried to use these resources to secure players offering more that many of our counterparts. But the problem is Northern Ontario! How do get players to come and play here?

We call this the “chicken and egg syndrome”. We know that players would come to Sudbury if we were a successful W league team. The question is how do we get there in the interim?

Part of plan is to continue to give our young Northern players an opportunity to develop but we are also aware that we could use the help of some higher profile players. We have even contacted the CSA.

We also need to restate that we are fully aware of what we are up against and so we are under no illusions. But you also need to know we are not going to give up and we are determined to put Northern Ontario on the North American soccer map. It is just a matter of time!

As a club we are also open to new ideas and we are not afraid to experiment.

Right now it seems that there is a great womens system set up and thing should be working. But its not....What I think would bring players to Sudbury is by making the 'Canadians' a bigger soccer community. Entering a PDL or PSL team with Y-League male teams would do this. Have a training centre with a nice 3000-5000 seated stadium, show the players all that you have to offer and they will come.

Only in a perfect world though eh;)

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

Right now it seems that there is a great womens system set up and thing should be working. But its not....What I think would bring players to Sudbury is by making the 'Canadians' a bigger soccer community. Entering a PDL or PSL team with Y-League male teams would do this. Have a training centre with a nice 3000-5000 seated stadium, show the players all that you have to offer and they will come.

Only in a perfect world though eh;)

I personally think that the Canadians are doing more for Sudbury in terms of giving local a chance to play at the highest level than some W-league teams that have very few locals on them.

The W-league is an amatuer league. No gets paid to play. I'd rather see the local W-league team use local players than bring in imports that do nothing for the local scene. It's not like Kelly Parker draws fans to the games.

The W-league should be a development league. I'd like to see a limit on "imports" lets say to 5-6 players, much like Montreal was last year.

It's not the NHL and no one is making big bucks. And if the W-league Canadian teams are unwilling to go that way.

Then a W-CPSL make sense.

With the demise of WUSA the W-League is the highest level to which women can aspire in North America and certainly in Canada, albeit the players are not officially paid. Degrading it to a development league will do nothing for women's soccer in North America. Let the W-CPSL be the development league with the kind of restrictions you suggest if you think one is needed.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

With the demise of WUSA the W-League is the highest level to which women can aspire in North America and certainly in Canada, albeit the players are not officially paid. Degrading it to a development league will do nothing for women's soccer in North America. Let the W-CPSL be the development league with the kind of restrictions you suggest if you think one is needed.

Offically? They can't receive anything period. So then it is a development league. Pay them and things change.

It's clasified as a PDL type league by the USL. If the MLS and USL 1 folded, the PDL would still be a developmental league.

A limted on imports would force these teams into creating good feeder systems. Not a bad thing.

Just because players are not paid a salary by their clubs that means it is by default a development league? So players in the highly competitive but officially amateur Vancouver Metro Soccer League for example, are not paid regular salaries and that makes the VMSL a development league - I don't think so? By that definition every league in the country except the USLD1 is a development league?

I think you might like to do a bit more research into what some of the W-League players are provided with before being quite so adamant about their not receiving anything.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Just because players are not paid a salary by their clubs that means it is by default a development league? So players in the highly competitive but officially amateur Vancouver Metro Soccer League for example, are not paid regular salaries and that makes the VMSL a development league - I don't think so? By that definition every league in the country except the USLD1 is a development league?

I think you might like to do a bit more research into what some of the W-League players are provided with before being quite so adamant about their not receiving anything.

Tell me and I can report it to the NCAA who'd flip that any player recieved anything. Coaches can be paid. But if one player gets anything in exchange for playing- the environment is considered a pro one and every loses the free ride. Even keeping a tracksuit at the end of thee year is ifffy.

Archived