Bit of Nostalgia

Guest Ed

With the big game today from Turkey, I'm reminded that 4 years ago Owen Hargreaves had come out of nowhere really to perform so well against Figo, Roberto Carlos and company with Real Madrid in Bayern's home leg of the semifinals due to the injury to Bayern's captain Effenberg. The final against Valencia at San Siro was a bit of a letdown but Owen played 120 minutes and was the first and to date only Canadian to win a Champions League medal. At that time, we were still hopeful that he would play for Canada but the bastardos from the FA came calling.

A bit of history to be made this Saturday as Bayern Munich meet Schalke 04 in the DFB Pokal (German FA Cup). A win for Hollywood FC puts a Canadian (born) player on the double winning team in Germany for the 2nd year in a row. I can almost guarantee that won't happen next year.

In more OH news, he is apparently interested in transfering to CL finalists Liverpool but yesterday Bayern told him he wasn't going anywhere and would be playing for them next year. This may be a ploy by Bayern, however, to up the transfer fee. At any rate Hargreaves shows the same commitment to club that he has to his country and the same sob story, cut by Canada, not a steady Bayern starter, go elsewhere instead of winning the position back.

Posting in the Cdn National Team section would be trolling. Sorry to interrupt your cutting and pasting of FIFA rules and regulations. Or were you busy lining up for a Betty Windsor photo op?

I was merely recalling some heady times from 4 years ago before OH had jumped ship.

Archived