Mitchell's (potential) final roster - questions

The Beaver

We are less than 3 weeks away from our first game of the WYC, and I am very curious to see who Mitchell names to his final roster. Who of the handful of players who missed the recent friendlies will make the team? Pretty safe to say that Ledgerwood and De Jong will make it, but what about the others? Lombardo and Uccello? Anybody else?

When does Mitchell have to name is final roster? I imagine that the crew he takes over the Europe for the final two prep games will be his final roster, but is there a chance that he may bring a few extra players to try them out up front? Any sense that we will go with anything other than a 4-5-1?

I'm glad that we will have two more friendlies prior to the tournament, if only so that Mitchell can get a good look at his full squad--with Ledgerwood and De Jong--and so that these guys can get familiar and clicking. It should be very exciting. I'm damned nervous just typing all this.

Beaver dont be nervous there is lots of time for the final roster. If I am not mistaken i believe that they have till the 27th of this month to forward to FIFA the names of the 19 players and 3 goalies total of 22 players.

I hate the 4-5-1 I hope that with the talent up front he would be more looking at the 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 or a 4-3-1-2.

Lombardo Uccello and hughes if you can get him would be ideal. Lots of power there in the front 3 players that can make things happen and mostlikely an output of 2 goals is possible in this combination of players per game ....a strong midfield with Gyaki Peters and Dejong should combine for another goal or two. I can see Canada doing very well with this lineup and for a change get more then just one or two goals that wont be enough so It will be interesting.

Actually, the final roster is 21 players, 3 of whom are goalkeepers (see page 28-29 of the Regs,

http://www.fifa.com/documents/tournaments/u20/U20NetherlandsEN.pdf ), which has to be delivered to FIFA offices by the CSA at least 10 days before the start of the first match, so by May 30. All of the 10 non-starters for each match can be substituted up to a maximum of three, there is no resrve list for injury. If there are injuries after the roster is set, the Organizing Committtee does have discretion to allow changes to the roster in extraordinary circumstances

When the CSA will decide to announce the roster is anyone's guess, but the FIFA comp site,

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/WYC/WYCSquad/0,3343,WYC-2005-1-9641-CAN,00.html

has promised to post the squad on Friday, June 3, 12 noon CET

(about 5 am EDT or 2 am PDT).

However, given the practicalities of the travel schedule outlined in the following, I think that the squad will be set a few days before May 28, and might even be announced early, a first for the CSA (but don't hold your breath):

"Canada will depart for Europe on Saturday, May 28, 2005 and will hold a brief camp in Lievin, France to play friendlies against Morocco on June 3rd, and another on June 5th or 6th against a team to be determined.

The team will travel to Tilburg, Netherlands on June 7th to take part in the FIFA World Youth Championship Netherlands 2005."

from May 10,

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2166

Well i was just wondering if Alberto could help me out. I know Savona are going to be disputting the "play-outs" in serie D where thbe first leg is set for may 29th and the 2nd leg june 5th. Will Uccello play the first then join the camp or play both?

quote:Originally posted by Soccerfan9

Well i was just wondering if Alberto could help me out. I know Savona are going to be disputting the "play-outs" in serie D where thbe first leg is set for may 29th and the 2nd leg june 5th. Will Uccello play the first then join the camp or play both?

According to the web sites and news articles here they want Julian to play both games. All I have heard from his colleauges that he is to arrive on the 27th from Canada. His agent has not offically said anything and nor has Savona at this point. I expect that the importance of these games he mostlikely will be there for the first game but I cannot speak on the second. They have to win big away and all goals count so if they win the first match then mostlikely he will not be needed and rest for the second or not come at all.

All eyes are on Julian right now to lead them too a victory and a big win

---------------------------------------------------------

Marcel De Jong's Helmond Sport begins its promotion playoff today

------------------------------------------------------------

My Dutch is limited but looks like Helmond Sport has a games until

June 9th

Archived