Lars to play for a contract on Sunday

El Hombre

The Leicester website is indicating that Lars will be getting the start on Sunday and a SkySports article (below) is indicating that his contract status is still up in the air while the regular keeper has been told he can walk.

I guess this means that Sunday's a pretty big game for Lars.

Foxes let six go

by Peter ORourke - created on 6 May 2005

Leicester have released six players including goalkeeper Ian Walker.

Foxes boss Craig Levein is actively reshaping the squad for next season after a disappointing campaign this term.

Walker along with Nikos Dabizas, Keith Gillespie, Nathan Blake, Scott Gemmill and Lilian Nalis have all been told they are free to leave the club at the end of the season.

All six will not figure in City's last game of the campaign against Plymouth this weekend.

However, the club have offered veteran Dion Dublin a new deal at the Walkers Stadium as well as offering terms to youngster Stephen Dawson.

James Scowcroft, Jason Wilcox and Lars Hirschfield are all sweating over their futures with decisions to be taken about their contracts next week.

Youngster Set To Start

http://www.lcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10274~662241,00.html?

Need password

Leicester City Academy defender Alan Sheehan will make his first team debut in Sunday's Championship clash against Plymouth at Home Park (1:00pm).

The 18-year-old left-back has impressed for both the under 18s and the reserves this season.

And that fine form has led to the youngster earning a shock call up to Craig Levein's squad for City's final game of the domestic campaign.

Ballinasloe-born Sheehan joined the Foxes in July 2003 from Belvedere FC and has represented the Republic of Ireland at under-17 level.

And he will complete a meteoritic rise through the ranks when he takes to the field this weekend.

City boss Craig Levein said: "After Richard Stearman I would say that Alan is the next prospect that we have at the club. It makes sense to give him an opportunity.

"Danny Tiatto misses the game through suspension so Jordan Stewart can move up to the wing to make way for Alan at left-back."

Levein also revealed that two other members of his squad would be given rare starts against the Pilgrims.

"Lars Hirschfeld will come in for Ian Walker, while we will also be giving Stefan Moore the chance to start the game."

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Makes you wonder if Kevin McKenna will end up here as he was a favourite of Craig Levein.

I was thinking that it was only going to be a matter of time before he did.

Doesn't he have some sort of agreement with a German club though? I've lost track of where he is these days.

Regarding McKenna he doesn't have an agreement with a German club but Cottbus was interested in bringing him in during the winter break but were not willing to pay the fee demanded by Hearts. His wife is from Cottbus and they would like to return to Germany and particularly Cottbus but whether Cottbus will be able to make a good enough financial offer is questionable given their financial problems. I would still consider Cottbus his most likely destination but I haven't heard any rumours connecting him with any teams for quite a while.

The news may seem pretty awful for Lars. This news comes directly from the Leicester Mercury (Please read).

Keeper swoop

11 May 2005

Leicester City have made a contract offer to Celtic goalkeeper Rab Douglas to fill the breach left by the departure of Ian Walker.

And City are considering an offer for another Celt, the versatile Momo Sylla who was training at the club last week.

Douglas is currently in the Parkhead side as they aim to close out the Scottish Premier League title.

But the Scotland international is out of contract in the summer and City boss Craig Levein had made earlier contact with him as a contingency plan for Walker leaving.

Levein has now stepped up the process by putting an official offer of terms on the table.Whether Douglas accepts or not remains to be seen, but Levein is hopeful and it would alleviate some of the pressure on what could be a problem position.

Levein is also impressed with the adaptability of midfielder Sylla, but he is under contract with Celtic for another year although the word is that Martin O'Neill is set to agree a severance deal at the end of the season.

Levein said: "We have made the offer to Douglas and it is now up to him.

"The situation regarding Sylla is a bit different because he is still under contract and he is bound to have other offers to consider, but I am hopeful we can do something there.

"He can play in a number of different positions and that is what we are going to need next season."

City's Paddy McCarthy, Stephen Dawson and Alan Sheehan have been called up into the Republic of Ireland Under-21 squad for a training camp at Lilleshall next week.

The trio were all involved in the squad at Plymouth Argyle on Sunday and will travel to Shropshire on Monday for a five-day get-together ahead of Ireland's European Under-21 Championship qualifier against Israel on Friday, June 3.

Archived