May 1 - Puerto Rico vs. Montreal [R]

DJT

Final:

Puerto Rico 0Montreal 3

All goals in the second half:

?' MON Kevin Wilson

?' MON Kevin Wilson

?' MON Antonio Ribeiro

There was an audio Webcast, but I guess nobody's going to post this stuff if I'm not around!

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Sorry, it was all on the Montreal board :S.

I know, that's where I found the result. I just thought more people around here would be interested in following and discussing, you know, actual soccer matches for a change.

From the Montreal Impact:

IMPACT: 3

ISLANDERS: 0

BAYAMON, Puerto Rico, May 1st, 2005 - Two goals from newcomer Kevin Wilson led the Montreal Impact to its first win of the season, a 3-0 victory against the Puerto Islanders, Sunday, at Juan Ramon Loubriel Stadium, in Bayamon, in front of 4652 spectators.

SUMMARY

Wilson, who joined the team Wednesday, scored his first goal at the 55th minute after accepting a pass from captain Mauro Biello. He beat goalkeeper Dan Kennedy with a low shot to his right. It was Biello’s second assist in as many games.

The Jamaican forward scored his second goal of the night on a turnover at the 71st minute. After intercepting a back pass from the Islanders defense at centre field, Wilson went in alone on the goalkeeper and dribbled around him to score in an empty net.

Midfielder Antonio Ribeiro completed the score at the 90th minute, on a pass from Patrick Leduc.

The Impact played the last 30 minutes with a man advantage, after Islanders defender Marco Vélez was ejected from the game for punching defender Nevio Pizzolitto in the face.

Impact goalkeeper Greg Sutton tallied his first shutout of the season.

Both teams had settled for a 1-1 tie Friday night in Bayamon, in their first game on the season.

Midfielder Mesut Mert and defender Nevio Pizzolitto, who did not play in the first game Friday, were starters for tonight's match-up.

The Impact will play its next game Saturday, May 7, at 7:30 pm (CJAD 800) against the Mariners in Virginia Beach. The following day, Montreal will be in Richmond to square off against the Kickers at 6:00 pm (CJAD 800).

GOALS

MTL: Kevin Wilson (Biello) 55

MTL: Kevin Wilson 71

MTL: Antonio Ribeiro (Leduc) 90

COMMENTS

Head coach Nick De Santis: "Today, we played the ball to the ground. We were much quicker than the Islanders. Despite all the scoring chances we missed in the first half, we didn’t lose our confidence. In the second half, we were really patient in the offensive third and it was positive."

Mauro Biello: "We played an excellent game. We totally dominated the first half but we were unable to score. This will give us a lot of confidence for the next two games on the road."

Kevin Wilson: «It was a good game and a good show. I think we played better today. We were able to capitalize on their mistakes."

IMPACT LINE-UP

Greg Sutton, Mauricio Vincello, Gabriel Gervais, Adam Braz, Nevio Pizzolitto, Mesut Mert (Masahiro Fukasawa 70), Patrick Leduc, Sandro Grande (Adrian Cann 80), Mauro Biello (Antonio Ribeiro 59), Eduardo Sebrango, (Darko Kolic 85), Kevin Wilson (Lars Lyssand 76)

ISLANDERS LINE-UP

Dan Kennedy, Raphael Ortiz, Chris Gores, Marco Velez, Alexis Riveira, Johanes Maliza, Juninho Da Silva, Isaac Nieves (Alejandro Gonzalez 63), Noah Delgado, Mauricio Salles (Drew McAthy 45), Isaias Bardales

SHOTS: MTL 17 PR 9

SAVES: MTL 5 PR 6

FOULS: MTL 10 PR 15

OFFSIDES: MTL 10 PR 2

CORNERS: MTL 5 PR 7

CAUTIONS

MTL : Sandro Grande 19

PR : Alexis Rivera 42

PR : Isaias Bardales 67

MTL : Lars Lyssand 90

EJECTIONS

PR : Marco Vélez 59

REFEREES

Abbas Piran, Jimmy Tosado, Jesus Lebron, Reggie Rutty

NOTES

The Impact returns to Montreal Monday in the evening and will resume training on Tuesday.

The Impact intends to get midfielder Zé Roberto back from the Philadelphia Kixx (MISL) for May 1st so he could be part of the trip to Virginia Beach on May 7.

-30-

Source: Patrick Vallée

Info: 514-328-3668 (ext. 27)

Congratulations to the Blue and White Army for the great results that the Impact got down in Puerto Rico against my beloved Islanders.

I was sorry to hear the reports of last night's game turning ugly. Outside of Marco's punching one of your boys, we will never know exactly what took place. That was enougn. If you punch a guy you gotta go. No matter what sort of racial insults are ALLEDGED.

We will probably never know what words were exchanged between some of your guys, your coach and ours, Hugo Maradonna.

Hopefully the next time the teams face each other, Puerto Rico will get a better result and cooler heads will prevail.

Wilson seems to have been a great pickup.

Congratulations Again.

Archived