Ottawa Fury PDL announces 6 signings

Yesterday the Fury announced the signings of 5 out of town players and 1 Ottawa based player. Players are:

Kevin Omukhua, St. Bonaventure, U18 and U20 Canada

Phil Amahazion, St. Bonaventure

Konrad Paszkoski, St. Bonaventure

Frederick Taylor, St. Bonaventure

Josiah Snelgrove, Houghton College

Souleymane Gagou, KSC Gimberegen (Belgium) also Gloucester Hornets

I also am pretty sure they've signed local standout Justin Dasah. Team is starting to take shape. Rumours are also circulating that they have signed former Wizards keeper and New Zealander Simon Eady to thet squad.

For those who don't know the coach is Colin McCurdy former Northern Ireland international and current Fury Technical Director.

Thought you guys would want to hear some positive news from the Fury PDL as it seems to be all negative on here right now.

Good Job Fury.

from Ottawafury.com:

"Ottawa-based, 23 year old Souleymane Gagou is a prolific goal scorer who played last season with K.S.C. Grimbergen in the Belgian 3rd Division. Previously, he played locally with the Bytown Gunners, Gloucester Hornets and Ottawa United. The 5-7 striker from the Ivory Coast scored 36 goals in 41 matches played in Ottawa-Carleton Soccer League play."

Ummmm 36 goals in 41 Ottawa-Carleton Soccer League play. Was that when the Bytown Gunners were in the OCSL 3rd Division?

Not much to brag about-- let alone put up on a website. I'll still wait for some better signings before I buy some tickets. I mean 5 from one school? And not a top soccer school at that.

Why so negative Kelly? Souleymayne is a good player. I realize the stats are subjective but this is a positive step for the Fury. Also, unless you've seen the 4 St. Bonnies players you can't say if they are good or not. They have experience already in the PDL with Calgary.

Look for more names in the coming future. Justin Dasah would be a huge pickup, good player.

The PDL is an elite development environment, well beyond recreational soccer where people quite reasonably expect to play if they pay. Commercial soccer academies and even (expensive) SYL programs are development programs, not everybody has the capability to rise to the next level of play no matter how hard they try or how much money they invest in 'professional' development and coaching.

The Whitecaps have held open tryouts for their PCSL Women's Reserve Team from which players will be drawn to plug holes when senior team members are called up for national team duty (five W-League games are affected I believe). Club policy is that the reserve team holes will be filled with players called up from their SYL system. That's a good approach.

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

I know her beef is they paid out a ton of cash and she thinks they should get something out it.More or less she thinks the fury is a scam.

Jaydog. You're a tool. Re read. I had sons who were intereted in the Fury. We choose not to participate due to the high cost.

I decided that my son could play OYSL for a fraction of the cost with coaching on par with what he would have gotten with the Fury. And- he'll have just as much fun and if he has the talent amd drive he'll have just as much oppurtinty to play CIS or NCAA ball.

And at 25000 for 5 years of soccer (Fury SYL)it simply out priced itself. You're the one mentioning scams. Maybe that's how you truely feel about it.

If this is their marquee signings, it'll be a long year. And I always thought that they played in the fall/winter and spring in Europe. So I guess summer soccer in Belgium must be huge.

Wow someone fell to presure and changed there tone very quick.3 months ago you said that since the fury charge so much the kids so be on the fury higher teams.

If you're trying to write in english you fail.

It is true that a club, especially a developemental club as the Fury and especially in a league like the PDL should at the least be at least 80% local. The object is not to win, but to develop players who then can move on to better things. The PDL and W-league teams should be used to showcase local talent and the strenth of your club.

Currently to play on the W-league team, you better have Canadian National team written on your resume, if not keep moving. What does that say about the current kids who have gone through 3 years of Fury coaching? Either the coaching isn't up to scratch or the players are lacking quality.

In that respect I think that a local CPSL womens team would work in Ottawa, there would a pool of local talent availble. And if the current signings are any indication, very few local boys will be on the PDL team.

And what does that do for the Local soccer scene? not much.

The Fury is a privately operated bussiness that can do whatever it wants. And people don't have to support it, if they feel that they have no reason to.

Kelly

Lets face the facts if your child is not moving up don't blame everyone else face it your kids does not have the talent.And the pdl team will get support as well as the w league team.There is aslo the quebec elite team just down the raod that team will be more local.

Kelly

Lets face the facts if your child is not moving up don't blame everyone else face it your kids does not have the talent.And the pdl team will get support as well as the w league team.There is aslo the quebec elite team just down the raod that team will be more local.

I hope my sons can actually be lucky enough to make money one day. Playing PDL or W-league that isn't going to happen. That's why I've encouraged him to put more importance on school than playing SYL.

Just a point of interest the Fury Youth PLayers who were in the initial "crop" of youth players for the most part do not graduate from the Youth System until this season. I'm confident that some will break through in the next year to the W-League and PDL teams in 2006 and that after that the numbers will increase.

Archived