why so many leagues in ottawa

Can someone please tell me why there is so many soccer leagues in ottawa and they all offer the same age groups and divisions of play here are the leagues.

Syl

Oysl

Ersl

Ocsl

Would it not be better to focus on one league and make it the best and strongest league and not water down the talent.

OYSL & ERSL form part of the pyramid of play (i.e. they have promotion/relegation)

OCSL (I believe) is mainly a recreational league now

SYL is not really an Ottawa League, it's only an Ottawa teams (one per age groups) in a US league.

There has been much debate on my site (http://oswforums.getgame.ca) about the dilution of talent in Ottawa. Many feel there are not enough players to support quality teams in two elite leagues (OYSL & SYL). Eventually, the stronger will survive (who knows which that will be...)

OCSL is the local league that has rec divisions and competetive divisions.

Thers only a few good teams in the league for mens premier, St Anthonys and the Ottawa Royals. Hellenic can also push these teams here and there. The bottom two teams are usually horrible but can offer a suprise here and there the team i played for beat St. Anthony's this summer 2-1.

The rest of the teams in the middle of the table are all pretty equal.

• 2 weeks later...

The OCSL at the youth level is mainly now recreational. You have hit the nail on the head. The teams are watered down due to the amount of clubs and leagues and the population. The Fury tend to get almost all the good players. Those who don't play Fury can play anywhere. Different clubs will get a decent team and win the poor ERSL and go to the OYSL. The problem is that club will usually have 6-8 good players and then the standard drops. When a team makes the OYSL it should get the best players from the ERSL for that age to compete better. With the Fury taking the better players that team needs the best of the rest to stand a chance. For example last year in the u18 OYSL Ottawa had Kanata and Nepean. Both finished in the bottom 3 because they were stretched to thin. Fury u18 had 19 players already and those 2 clubs were splitting the rest. Kanata had 3 real class players that belonged in the OYSL but that was it. If Kanata was given more talent around those 3 they would have done much better. It is a shame but welcome to Ottawa soccer. People are narrow minded and clubs think more of themselves than developing the player, no matter what they say.

Archived