Two keepers injured in the same match

Alberto7

This story dates back to December 19th, but I thought I would share it:

From the BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tranmere_rovers/4110969.stm

Tranmere face goalkeeping crisis

Tranmere could be facing a goalkeeping crisis for their Christmas games after their 6-1 defeat at Hull on Saturday.

Rovers were forced to make two goalkeeping changes during the match after John Achterberg and substitute Russell Howarth were both injured.

Midfielder Theo Whitmore was forced to take over between the sticks in the second half and conceded five goals.

"One goalkeeper is in hospital now and the other can hardly walk," manager Brian Little told his club's website.

"Russell is in bits - how he got to half-time I don't know. When he came in he didn't know where he was."

Tranmere entertain Barnsley on Boxing Day and have doubts over whether either keeper will be available.

"With Russell's concussion it depends how bad it is. The doctors might suggest he has anything from 10 to 14 days," explained Little.

"John will be a little bit longer, he has quite a sore leg so that's a problem for us.

This got me to thinking. Does anyone remember this ever happening before? I remember some CSL teams playing with no backup keeper(some A-league teams have played with one keeper as well at times)but I don't recall a field player ever having to go in between the pipes. I once read that Bob Lenarduzzi replaced Tino Letieri in goal during one NASL game(when both played for the Whitecaps)when Tino went down with an injury but I don't know any more details?

Anyone witness this before?

Are you asking specifically for instances where all available keepers were injured and a field player had to be used as a keeper? or any instance where a field player had to be used as a keeper, such as when there were no subs left and the keeper got injured or red carded?

The title of the thread suggests that you mean the former, but off the top of my head I can think of two instances of the latter which added even more drama to matches that were already great. (I'm sure there are many more examples.)

In the Italian thread I described an incredible Coppa Italia match between Lecce and Udinese played last November:

quote:Lecce took a 3-0 lead in the first half hour, Udinese tied it within the next half hour, Lecce took the lead again 10 minutes later, Udinese tied it 10 minutes after that, and finally Udinese won it another 10 minutes later, just before full time. But the amazing story doesn't end there: Lecce had a penalty kick stopped in injury time. Want more? The keeper was red-carded on the play and there were no subs left, so the kick was stopped by forward David Di Michele!! Who had earlier scored 2 of Udinese's goals!!!!
There was also a terrific Valencia vs. Inter match in the UEFA Cup quarterfinals a few years ago. Inter scored very early and led by one goal on aggregate. As Inter played more and more defensively, Valencia had all the pressure and Inter keeper Francesco Toldo carried his team with some spectacular saves. But he got a second yellow for time wasting near the end and Inter had no subs left, so midfielder Farinos was moved into the keeper position. Considering Valencia's dominance, it didn't look like Inter would be able to hold on, but Farinos made a couple of saves and Inter went through to the semifinals.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Are you asking specifically for instances where all available keepers were injured and a field player had to be used as a keeper? or any instance where a field player had to be used as a keeper, such as when there were no subs left and the keeper got injured or red carded?

The title of the thread suggests that you mean the former, but off the top of my head I can think of two instances of the latter which added even more drama to matches that were already great. (I'm sure there are many more examples.)

In the Italian thread I described an incredible Coppa Italia match between Lecce and Udinese played last November:

There was also a terrific Valencia vs. Inter match in the UEFA Cup quarterfinals a few years ago. Inter scored very early and led by one goal on aggregate. As Inter played more and more defensively, Valencia had all the pressure and Inter keeper Francesco Toldo carried his team with some spectacular saves. But he got a second yellow for time wasting near the end and Inter had no subs left, so midfielder Farinos was moved into the keeper position. Considering Valencia's dominance, it didn't look like Inter would be able to hold on, but Farinos made a couple of saves and Inter went through to the semifinals.

I was asking mainly about instances when the goalkeepers were both injured but I was also looking for examples of a field player playing in goal. I see that this is a lot more common than I thought. Funny that I posted this on Friday and we get a good example of this on Sunday with the Newcastle-Chelsea FA Cup game. I understand that Cudicini was red-carded in the 90th minute and the team had used up its three subs so a field player went in. Too bad I only saw the first half. Damn!

Archived