Canada now ranked 85th

marktci

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

If we moved up 5 rankings by beating lowly (in the rankings) NI, we could have moved a lot more by beating #71 Cuba.

It is an over-simplification to say that we moved up 5 places because of this one win (though I don't mean to criticize you specifically for saying so, everyone does it, including whoever writes those CP tidbits). There are more factors, such as previous matches losing weight or being dropped altogether, not only for us but also for the teams around us.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Mexico in 1986 I believe were knocked out at Azteca - but not in a loss, but through penalties to West Germany after a 0-0 tie.

You're right about the result, but it was in Monterrey.

quote:

But Mexico still rule Concacaf and will for a long time. Mexico is better then Portugal but not Holland, Or Italy. Mexico can win their home wcq matches which put them lightyears ahead of us.

I don't think so... as much as it pains me to say it, I think the USA rules CONCACAF now. I guess we'll see how it shakes on in WCQ and the WC2006... but the Yanks look the stronger. Mexico has more history and more self-induced propoganda, but the States are making a statement and backing it up. Oh wait... Mexico breezed through the first round of WCQ... they MUST be better.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

World Cup winners in 1998.

Euro winners in 2000.

Euro semi-finalists in 1996.

Confederations Cup winner in 2001 and 2003.

All HUGE for FIFA points. And we're not talking about qualifiers for 2004.

Their Golden Generation is gone for the most part, but over-rated is some big words. Their recent chokes (2002 and 2004, although the Greeks DID end up surprising the best teams) kinda obscure their achievements.

World Cup winners in 1998. <-- 7 years ago now

Euro winners in 2000. <-- A new champion has been crowned, and it wasn't france

Euro semi-finalists in 1996. <-- Better part of a DECADE ago

Confederations Cup winner in 2001 and 2003. <--who cares?

The bottom line is France has done EXTREMELY poorly in it's last two major tournaments. At this point, I would not rank them as "The second best team in the world". Obviously they are up there, but not deserving of #2.

Archived