Whitecaps return to the radio

Richard

"VANCOUVER , BC – The Vancouver Whitecaps FC Director of Soccer Operations, Bob Lenarduzzi, today announced a new partnership between the club and the TEAM 1040 AM [a CHUM radio station serving the Lower Mainland of BC]. All 28 regular season Men’s home and away games plus the playoffs will be broadcast live by the TEAM 1040 AM. This is the first time since 1984 Vancouver will have full radio exposure for all home and away games. Broadcasts will also include 30-minute pre-game and post-game shows."

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/jan2005/radiopartnership.htm

This is awesome! I've been following the rumours about this on the SouthSiders board, but, as with everything else, wanted to see it officially announced before getting too excited.

The TEAM 1040 currently streams to the Web, and hopefully it continues to do so during the summer, and hopefully there isn't some strange rule whereby Whitecaps matches can't be streamed (as they can't stream MLB and NFL games, though of course that has to do with MLB and the NFL choosing to sell Webcasts).

quote:Originally posted by DJT

The TEAM 1040 currently streams to the Web, and hopefully it continues to do so during the summer, and hopefully there isn't some strange rule whereby Whitecaps matches can't be streamed (as they can't stream MLB and NFL games, though of course that has to do with MLB and the NFL choosing to sell Webcasts).

I would imagine that since the TEAM will be producing the broadcasts that they will have the option to stream it (unless the away games are coming from a host broadcaster). Anything whereby they are a subsiduary station they'd have no rights to stream it unless it was part of the contract. In essence, since they are the host broadcaster for the Whitecaps I'm going to assume they'll stream the games.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

I would imagine that since the TEAM will be producing the broadcasts that they will have the option to stream it (unless the away games are coming from a host broadcaster). Anything whereby they are a subsiduary station they'd have no rights to stream it unless it was part of the contract. In essence, since they are the host broadcaster for the Whitecaps I'm going to assume they'll stream the games.

I used to listen to the Whitecaps broadcasts on the www. This is a good thing. Sadly, there is no parallel here in Toronto nor will there be.

Maybe once the Lynx move back to York U, they can interest CHRY to pick up some matches as they used to do with the North York Rocket (out of Esther Shiner Stadium).

db

I just received an email from the Whitecaps and it stated:

"We are also very excited about the return of Whitecaps soccer to the airwaves. To answer your question, yes. All the games will be streamlined on the TEAM 1040 AM’s website www.team1040.ca. There will also be a link from our website www.whitecapsfc.com."

So I'd suggest that the games will be on the internet.

Archived