Champions World trouble

ochico

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Man U reported today that they arte going to play in China in late July, so they don't have their star attarction in any event.

Is Man U still the star attraction? With no Beckham and no longer winning anything, I thought that most of their glory-hunting "fans" would have moved on to something else by now.

From The New York Times:

Promoter Files Chapter 11

By JACK BELL

Published: January 19, 2005

ChampionsWorld, the New Jersey company that promoted the summer tour of Manchester United and other top European club teams the past two years, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection from creditors. It still plans to promote games this summer in the United States and Canada.

"We expanded too quickly, and promoting a top-quality event was very costly, with expenses unique to the soccer world," Charlie Stillitano, ChampionsWorld's chief executive, said yesterday in a telephone interview. "We had strong revenues of $25 million last year, but it's safe to say we lost a lot because we had too many teams in some markets that were not successful. This will allow us to restructure."

The first ChampionsWorld Series, in 2002, was a huge success, playing to several sold-out crowds, and was anchored by Manchester United. Last summer, the company lost more than $2 million as it brought over nine teams and played games in seven cities, including Pittsburgh and Hartford. Manchester United, which will be touring the Far East this summer, was criticized last summer when it initially brought a team that did not include many of its top stars.

From CP/canada.com, by Neil Davidson:

The move by New Jersey-based promoter ChampionsWorld to seek bankruptcy protection south of the border means that the Canadian Soccer Association and the Ontario Soccer Association have yet to receive their full sanctioning fee from a pair of exhibition games involving European club sides at SkyDome last summer. CSA COO Kevan Pipe said ChampionsWorld had paid a "substantial" deposit on the fees and expressed its plan to repay the rest. "They have not gone out of business, they are reorganizing," said Pipe, who declined to say how much was owed.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Is Man U still the star attraction? With no Beckham and no longer winning anything, I thought that most of their glory-hunting "fans" would have moved on to something else by now.

Last year Man U was still the star attraction but I doubt they would have been had they come back this summer. I think people rather see Real Madrid, Arsenal and Chelsea now. Of course if they keep scheduling games in redneck villages like Pittsburgh and Cleveland they'll lose money no matter which teams visit.

Archived