Dylan Hughes Transfers to Jahn Regensburg

Grizzly

Dylan Hughes has transfered to Regionalliga South team Jahn Regensburg who are currently in 11th place. He has signed to 30 June 2006. He is moving up a division from the 4th div. Kaiserslautern reserves and there is a huge gap between the level of 3rd and 4th division in Germany. It is probably a good move for him although there are some advantages to being in the system of a big club. The article calls him a Wales under-21 player but I remember him posting here saying he was hoping to play for Canada. It will be interesting to see if he plays in the upcoming U-20 qualification. Although noone likes to leave a new club the Regionalliga season doesn't start for some time so he should be able to get some leave. His new coach is former Bundesliga star Mario Basler which means that he will be able to drink and smoke as much as he likes as long as he plays well. Basler may have found out about Hughes through connections with Kaiserslautern where he played.

Süd: Hughes kommt zu Regensburg

Jahn Regensburg hat erneut auf dem Transfermarkt zugeschlagen. Mit dem walisische U21-Nationalspieler Dylan Hughes verpflichteten die Bayern den von Mario Basler geforderten Stürmer.

Dylan Hughes verstärkt den Jahn-Sturm

140105hughes_i.jpg

Der 19-Jährige Hughes wechselt von den Amateuren des 1. FC Kaiserslautern nach Regensburg. Beim Trainingsauftakt des Tabellenelften präsentierte Teamchef Mario Basler den Stürmer, sowie den zweiten Winter-Neuzugang, Torwart Erol Sabanov. Beide Spieler erhielten einen bis 30. Juni 2006 befristeten Vertrag.

sp14.jpg

article from North Shore News last summer:

Dylan Hughes Seycove Seyhawks

North Vancouver's Dylan Hughes may be the next big thing in the highly competitive world of European soccer.

After serving five years at Seycove secondary and being the big punch for senior team head coach Gordie Scott, Hughes is now playing in the German Bundesliga for Kaiserslautern in Frankfurt.

The European flirtation is nothing new for the perennial local and provincial all-star Hughes, who was signed by Newcastle in Grade 10 and also had a tryout session with Leeds United.

This past high school season Hughes - who bent the twine 16 times in the regular season - helped his Seyhawks to the North Shore senior title and a berth in the provincial championships, where the team lost a heartbreaker in the semifinals but salvaged a bronze medal. The year before the 'Hawks and Hughes managed to pull off a second-place finish at the B.C. championships - the best-ever finish for the school team.

A national youth team fixture, Hughes also served time at both the midfield and striker positions with the West Vancouver Trollers Metro League squad.

"His skills and his speed are what make him such a good player," says Scott, who has coached alongside Dylan's dad, Gareth.

"When he went to Europe this spring to try out for the (Kaiserslautern) reserves he scored four goals so he was offered a contract. The next time I saw him I made a joke and said if 'you had trouble understanding the English in Newcastle it's going to be even worse in Germany'. It's going to be tough for him, but he's very competitive and very talented and that should be more than enough to carry him through."

Earlier this year Hughes was part of the Canadian national U-20 youth development team that travelled to Europe to take part in a 12-day training camp as well as a pair of friendlies against the Czech Republic and Austria.

http://www.nsnews.com/issues03/w072703/075103/sports/075103sp14.html

Does look different in the two pictures but maybe he is older with a different hair style or maybe they mixed up his picture with that of another teammate on the Kaiserslautern reserves. I have never seen him so I cannot say. I found a few other articles about the transfer which I didn't post as they didn't contain any new information but they did refer to him as a Canadian under 21 player not a Wales under 21 so it is our Dylan who transfered whether the picture is correct or not.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Does look different in the two pictures but maybe he is older with a different hair style or maybe they mixed up his picture with that of another teammate on the Kaiserslautern reserves. I have never seen him so I cannot say. I found a few other articles about the transfer which I didn't post as they didn't contain any new information but they did refer to him as a Canadian under 21 player not a Wales under 21 so it is our Dylan who transfered whether the picture is correct or not.

The first picture is of a teammate on the Kaiserslautern reserve team, who happens to be beside Dylan Hughes in the team photo taken last summer; someone must have mixed them up. Here's the photo. Dylan Hughes is 2nd player (4th person) in on the right middle row and the player causing the confusion is on his right (or to the left when looking at the group photo).

team_415.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Picture of Dylan Hughes (left) during Regensburg's first training session with coach Mario Basler (centre) and the team's new keeper Sabanov (right) who played with Nsaliwa in Saarbruecken.

The keeper Sabonov was a total bust this season in Saarbrucken, benched after 2 games and replaced by the veteran Eich, who is the oldest starter in the pro leagues in Germany. Hughes missed the last exhibition with a mild fever and I hope to see him get lots of action with Jahn Regensburg. His first league game won't be until later in February against Nik Ledgerwood and 1860 Muenchen's reserves.

Archived