Will Canada play in Canada in 2005?

Robert

Does the CSA have any intention of hosting a senior men's international match on home soil in 2005? Allowing other associations the opportunity to earn a home gate is nice, and they probably pay for our expenses, but where is the benefit for Canada playing in Barcelos or Belfast. We have cities in Canada that start with B too. Brandon and Barrie to name a couple. Again, the CSA has chosen the cheap way to do business. Will these games be televised live in Canada, because non of our away World Cup matches were. Will any North American based players be used, because their airplane tickets cost just as much as the ones used by overseas players? Coach Yallop talks about what a wonderful opportunity these matches present. What exactly will they do for us? Will Radzinski communicate better with his teammates? Will this better prepare us for future CONCACAF encounters? Again, are we going to play a match in Canada this year? Maybe now's the time to start planning this prior to the end of the European season. Our successful CONCACAF neighbours might be game for some warm-up matches. How about the United States? Why are we not playing them at least twice a year?

Yeah, I think we all agree that we NEED games on Canadian soil, but we also know that we NEED games period, especially games that allow us to gather as many of our top players at one time for camps etc. Playing in Europe allows us to do just that.

With that said, I also know that we need to play as many games as possible against CONCACAF teams so that we are familiar with all the factors that come into play when doing so (ie weather conditions, tactics, antics, officiating etc). "Know thy enemy" and "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" and all that stuff.

I get the impression that the CSA and Yallop are trying to make ALL these things happen. I am encouraged by what we are hearing. I think postive steps are being taken. I think Pipe MUST be feeling the pressure, especially when many felt that Canada had a team talented enough to at least advance out of its first grouping.

Archived