Saha/Parker

argh1

Last January's transfer window saw the Giants pay the Minnows for these two promising players but both Man U ( Alan Smith, Rooney) and Chelsea ( Drogba ) bought other stars so these players are now expendable Paris St-Germain were rumoured to be interested in Saha but now say no, not for that money.

Any guesses as to where these two will be February 1 or besides Wright-Philips (?) what other youngsters will be sold to Giants who won't use them?

Saha was a big waste of money.....amost 13 million pounds for a guy who barely plays? he wa saweosm with fulham but thats b/c he played regularily. Hes one of those guys that needs to play a lot to be useful i think...definitly a watse of money in my opinion. UTD picked up Smith for half as much and i think he's a much better striker. I think him and Rooney will make a great partnership for a long time...Hey Fergie, sell Ruud back to psv and send saha packing to PSG!

Imagine the enlgand team haing their 2 top strikers playing club football together all the time!

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

Imagine the enlgand team haing their 2 top strikers playing club football together all the time!

You rate Smith ahead of Owen?

As an aside, is England the favourite UEFA club among posters here? Because I can't stand that bunch, particularly Rooney and Beckham. I'd have to take Germany as my first-choice squad, although I am a fan of the lesser-known, mid-strength sides like Swedend and Ukraine (or perhaps I just like yellow and blue). I don't like the Netherlands much, despite the fact that I'm living there, because most of their best players are total assholes on the pitch (van Nistelrooy, Robben, the Ajax gang; only Makaay stands out as a real class individual.)

You're right about Smith he was fantastic with Leeds and Ferguson has used him in mid-field alot too.

But it's almost like Morientes ( my best example ) , we can't play him .......but we don't wanna play against them ......so buy'em and tell'em prove yourself . Meanwhile the Giants will eventually sell on to other domestic leagues for a portion of what was paid for but adding performance clauses knowing that'll they'll be met and thus not losing a dime.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

You rate Smith ahead of Owen?

As an aside, is England the favourite UEFA club among posters here? B

No personally I can't rate Smith ahead of Owen as a striker but as a player he is more versatile being able to play different positions .

This may sound strange and I may not be able to communicate this properly . But don't confuse our following of Euro domestic leagues with following Euro national sides. For me anyway I have no passion for any Euro national side . But the quality of soccer shown in Euro Cups is pleasing to watch.

EDIT:

Of course I meant Euro national side cups.

There is only one national side to have passion for.....and not to be too regional ....but if you don't know what a potato break is for school kids or have picked apples for pennies a bushel or have followed a pulp truck down a highway or been to a sugar camp in early spring or raked clams from a dory or waited to hear the "brights" are coming up the river or know what a smelt storm is or heard the expression in April-May "the air won't warm up 'till the ice is outta the strait" and finally "don't plant your garden 'till after the first moon in June " my all time favourite "it's too cold to snow"......then you don't know what nation this is!

Guest Jeffery S.

Saha is on the Barça list for a replacement for Larsson. Idea is to pay a little money or just take a half season loan, and use him as a sub for Eto'o, phenomenal lately. Mind you the others on the list seem to be Carew, Anelka has come up, and Exposito at Cagliari. Batistuta has been ruled out. I think we might need someone better in the air than Saha, though maybe he is better than I think.

no your right smith isnt ahead of owen....i guess i just havnt heard much of owen doing anything lately since he's been riding the pine a lot with madrid......either way it deifnitly wouldnt be a bad situation ot have those 2 playing togetheron a regualr basis......personally im a big smith fan...

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

no your right smith isnt ahead of owen....i guess i just havnt heard much of owen doing anything lately since he's been riding the pine a lot with madrid......either way it deifnitly wouldnt be a bad situation ot have those 2 playing togetheron a regualr basis......personally im a big smith fan...

Owen is doing very well for Madrid, in fact he has the best goal per minutes rate in Spain this year. The problem is that his team is indolent and in decadence, and he is not the type of player to solve that this year. But I think in two or three years will be a key player for them when they say goodbye to Ronaldo.

I should also add that I don't see Man City selling Shaun Wright-Phillips under any circumstances. Apparently some Spanish and Italian teams, also Monaco, are interested in Nicolas Anelka. I think it is much more likely that Man City would sell Anelka and use that money to bring in a couple of players to help the team improve. I suggest a few new defenders are in order.

It seems that Man City is possibly looking at Dean Ashton of Crewe Alexandra as a potential replacement for Anelka. 17 goals in 22 games seems like a decent strike rate.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

According to http://www.football365.com Leeds are interested in acquiring Paul Peschisolido from Derby.

Can Leeds afford him? After building a team from scratch Leeds should aim to finish right where they are 19th in the table and maybe go for it next year. If they find new owners.

Didn't Pesch leave Yorkshire to be near his wife or something like that when he left the Blades for Derby? So a move back to the Yorkshire Whites seems unlikely , I would think.

A couple of other rumours from different sources:

-Roman Ambromovich still wants Steven Gerrard in January, but Jose Mourinho has said he isn't interested in Gerrard.

-A potential bidding war could errupt for Iker Casillas, who has so far refused to even talk about an extension with Real Madrid. In addition to Manchester United, who have already held discussions with Casillas' representative, Inter Milan also is quite interested in the Spanish first choice keeper. Milan supremo Massimo Moratti will sign a new keeper for next season and has Casillas at the top of his list. He also is quite interested in Parma's Sebastian Frey

-Manchester City boss Kevin Keegan has admitted they could sell striker Nicolas Anelka in January.

"If a Champions League club came along and put down a massive bid the board would have to look at it," said Keegan.

-Arsenal midfielder Edu says he will only leave Highbury for a club that is regularly "challenging for titles".

The Brazil international is off contract in the summer and is high on the shopping list of Barcelona president Joan Laporta.

"Of course it would be great to go there (Barcelona)," Edu revealed to AS. "The most important thing is that I am playing regularly.

-Livingston boss Richard Gough is running the rule over Jamaica international Craig Ziadie.

The New York MetroStars defender was recommended to Gough by his coach and former Rangers striker Mo Johnston.

Ziadie will spend the week at Livi in a bid to win a contract.

-Hertha Berlin are close to finalizing a deal with Celtic centre-forward John Hartson, who is out of contract at the end of the current season.

I figure soccer needs it's version of MLB's Hot Stove League, so I'm just doing my part.

Oh, one other rumour that I forgot. Steve Brunce wants to bring Benni McCarthy to Birmingham in the January transfer window.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Can Leeds afford him? After building a team from scratch Leeds should aim to finish right where they are 19th in the table and maybe go for it next year. If they find new owners.

Didn't Pesch leave Yorkshire to be near his wife or something like that when he left the Blades for Derby? So a move back to the Yorkshire Whites seems unlikely , I would think.

Don't forget. He'll have to play alongside David Healy. They'll be against each other in February.

Wow...Morientes to Liverpool for 3 and 1/2 million pounds according to BBC.co.uk. Is that cheap or what? I wonder if Monaco's royals can afford to up the ante when they only get what 8,000 or so to pay to go see the games.

Nice replacement for Cisse though.

Archived