How to Entice Good Canadians to Play in Canada?

Ian Kennett

Let's assume for a moment that Canada was able to form a new domestic league, however likely or unlikely, or that A-League clubs in Canada suddenly found themselves with an extra $250 000 or so in annual sponsorship money, or that MLS expanded to Canada. In other words, things were financially much more rosy.

My question is this, and is aimed at anybody at home or abroad who reads this: Which Canadian players currently playing abroad could be enticed or lured or encouraged to play soccer in Canada with a Canadian professional club? Who? How? Why?

I am very interested in your ideas and reasons.

Cheers!

I heard elsewhere on this board Radzinski's family all live in Toronto area so when he gets older maybe his playing at home would become a possibility. I would hope the younger players would continue to play abroad for the sake of developing their skills. On the other hand if they're working domestically they'd be much more readily available for National team training camps, and that'd leave the CSA with one less thing (excuse) to worry about.

Hmmm.

Professional League? Might be tough to get anybody but the most marginal players back as any realy professional league would still have a pretty short season, say 20-24 league games tops.

Not that bad realy. Have to give it a think but lets just say MC2 to start. He's sort of fallen off the map. Exciting young guy who'd bring the level of the domestic game up a notch I'm sure. Got to like those sort of guys.

Lars for sure. Make a couple of bucks. Play a little. Hopefully get a fresh look from the overseas clubs. Just generaly train up a bit under the real heat of battle and hopefully make some nice high-light reel saves along the way to help promote the league.

Would love to see Big Kev come home but I dought anything but MLS could afford him. Better upside at Hearts too. Would be surprised if Scotland's his home for his entire professional career.

Just a start. You'll notice I'm conceading the league would be a development league. Just like everyone elses outside of the big four.

Archived