attendance tongiht...?

marcl_19

There hasn't been any mention of how many tickets have been sold for this match. I'd hope that it's sold out, that'll only be just over 6,800. Thing is they only started giving the game any media coverage a few days ago, and aside from the CSA having flyers handed out at last Sundays Whitecaps game I haven't seen any promotion from them.

When I searched ticketmaster.ca last night, the 2 cheapest sets of tickets were sold out completely. The 2 highest prices in the grandstands gave me tickets way in the end sections. I expect with the nice weather today and any kind of walkup, the game should sell out.

"""""ES GUATEMALA MI PATRIA ADOARDA POR MAS QUE DIGAN NINGUNA ES IGUAL

LA AFICION AL FUBOL LOS APOYA VAMOS GANANDDO SELLECION NACIONAL!!!!!!

LA SELECCION CHAPINA CON TODO EL CORAZON A LA VICTORIA SE LANZA Y VENCERA

CON SU GARRA Y ENTREGA NO HAY EQUIPO QUE PUEDA Y POR SIEMPRE GUATEMALA GANARA!!!!!

GUATEMALA! GUATEMALA! GUATEMALA!

VAMOS CHAPINES EL TRIUNFO ES DE TODOS!!!""""""""

I hope the attendance will be good tonight (I'll be there with 12 friends) but, as usual, the promotion of the game has been piss poor. I have spoken this week with a number of people in local minor soccer associations who had no idea that such an important game was being played. These are the sort of people that the the CSA should be trying to attract as fans -- people genuinely interested in the game, who spend time with kids and youth players -- and yet they had no idea. When I told one of the co-ordinators from Port Coquitlam soccer that I was going to see Canada v Guatemala on Wednesday his response was "what's that, baseball?"

I'm not sure how much the CSA spends on promotion but (a) it isn't enough, and (B) its not working.

Judging by comments in this thread I assume they only have a few hundred tickets remaining.

I have one question though. Why should the CSA be marketing to these people in the minor soccer associations? Seems that 6000+ people knew that there was a game on, if these guys in the minor soccer association weren't even aware that there was a match going on then they really aren't that involved in soccer outside of what they are doing with minor soccer. Better selling the tickets to fans who make themselves aware.

Have to add that these smae people that you spoke to who weren't aware this week obviously don't attend local soccer because all 5,722 fans at last Sundays game were given a flyer advertising the game. Is that enough of an advertising job? No but it did let the locals who are willing to shell out money to watch live soccer know that there wasa game this week.

Canuck-fan they should have targeted the local soccer bodies inform them of what WC qualifying is all about not put crummy ads in the provice that get lost with all the hairloss prints. I am disapointed thought that the local soccer bodies are a sleep at the wheel.

quote:Originally posted by Footy

Canuck-fan they should have targeted the local soccer bodies inform them of what WC qualifying is all about not put crummy ads in the provice that get lost with all the hairloss prints. I am disapointed thought that the local soccer bodies are a sleep at the wheel.

Yeah, but footy, we all knew there was a game on. And everybody at last Sundays Whitecaps game were made aware that there was a game today. The TV news and newspapers let people know that there was a game today. If people involved in soccer did not know that there was a game today it's obvious they don't attend live soccer in Vancouver in the first place, and obviousthey don't read papers or watch the news.

It's all moot anyway. Thegames going to be sold out. They need to spend advertising money in Edmonton. Let them know that men play soccer as well.

They should bring in bleachers in the south end for the next game here. There should have been bleachers in that end for this game as well, they used to. They would have filled them and had another 900+ supporters at the game. Well at least another 900 people doshing out cash for tickets.

I take your point Krammerhead. However, in my view the people who frequent this and other soccer messageboards will always know when and where the matches are and their importance. Similarly, those who regularly go to see the Whitcaps will likely know. But if the CSA wants to expand the fanbase beyond that hardcore and awaken general interest in the MNT it needs two things: more promotion/advertising, and good results from the men on the pitch.

I have confidence that the lads will take care of their end tonight. I'd like the CSA to be more active in promoting the quality we put on the field, though.

Canuck-fan I agree with you..I have friends that enjoy soccer..but who don't neccesarily surf the message boards like I do so ...some didn't know about the game vs Guatemala. But that's the media exposure that needs to improve as well as the CSA.

Archived