From FIFA: "Canuck strikers getting hot up north"

Guest Can. in UK

Guest Can. in UK

Canuck strikers getting hot up north

22 June 2004

by FIFAworldcup.com

In a country known more for ice hockey and frigid winters, team Canada look in danger of causing a major thaw with their torrid, expansive strike force. The attacking exploits of Paul Peschisolido, Iain Hume, Tomasz Radzinski, Dwayne de Rosario and co. have Frank Yallop’s Maple Leafs looking like one of the savviest and forward-thinking sides in CONCACAF.

Their pair of recent 4-0 victories over admittedly meager Belize were a showcase for the Great White North’s attacking vanguard. Soon-to-be-former Everton man Tomasz Radzinski, Peschisolido, de Rosario and Hume all made their marks as Canada took another significant stride toward Germany 2006.

The English connection

Skillful Peschisolido, who plays his club football for Derby County in the English first division, got the Canucks rolling in the first-leg match against Belize on 13 June. After slamming a rocket of a shot off the crossbar, the striker finally opened the Canadians’ Germany 2006 qualifying account with a ferocious finish. The rampant Radzinski- feared for his speed and bustling approach - then pulled off his sixth goal for Canada ten minutes after the interval.

The two strikers cut a formidable frontline, but Yallop’s options do not end there…

Young Iain Hume of English second division side Tranmere Rovers is fast becoming a fan favourite on Merseyside with his bold, impressive work rate. His nose for goal saw the unfashionable club reach all the way to the rarefied air of an FA Cup quarter-final in 2003. The striker also led the way for Canada’s youth side reach a first-ever quarter-final at last year’s FIFA World Youth Championship in the United Arab Emirates.

Though his only quantifiable contribution to the series with Belize was a sending off in the second meeting, his coach rates the youngster highly. “He’s a dangerous weapon running off the ball,” Yallop said. “He’s a nightmare for defenders and will play a big role in World Cup qualifying.”

Options abound

Dwayne de Rosario of Major League Soccer outfit San Jose Earthquakes has also been making his mark for the Canadian national team on their hunt for only a second-ever appearance at a FIFA World Cup finals.

His two-goal performance in the second-leg drubbing of Belize have him looking a significant threat up front. And his desire to see the Canadians progress to the top of the regional heap has him foaming at the mouth. “To help Canada qualify for the World Cup is the biggest goal,” he said. “Not only is it a goal, but it would be a dream come true and I want to do all I can to help the team get there.”

With goals in the series also coming from midfielder Jim Brennan and defender Jim McKenna, getting goals is starting to look easy up North.

A tough group awaits

Next up, the quick-scoring Canucks will enter the semi-final group phase of the CONCACAF Germany 2006 qualifiers. And up against Honduras, Costa Rica and Guatemala in a tough Group B, they will have their work cut out.

But as they say the best defence is a good offence, and Yallop’s men look like keeping pace.

“I want to bring a new attitude,” the coach recently told FIFAworldcup.com. “I want players to be excited to play for Canada, and most of all i want to reach Germany 2006.”

With a stable of exciting strikers, and hopes soaring, the sky might just be the limit for the men from the Great White North.

If I may enter the world of the subjective . This may be the best team Canada has put to-gether in a long time. Hopefully gone are the days of 10 behind ball and the ever so long balls forward . Yes we do have a strike force . Let's use them.

.......Wait...... I'm not a soccer guy , just a follower. OOOOPPS

Archived