Are there transfers in the A-League?

strobe_z

Similar to Vancouver releasing Gregor. You can't release a player and then when he signs for another team expect them to give you somthing for him. It's a shame in both cases, but I suppose the teams figured that other teams wouldn't be willing to give anything for these players knowing full well that they'd eventually be released outright anyway.

uhm.. in case my intelligence is being called into question.. I do know we released Titus and get nothing for him. That's what the comment

quote: Seems to me a shame that we get zip all for Titus.

meant.

The point was why didn't the Aviators follow what nearly any other team would've done with a disgruntled player... bench him.. and then look for someone else to take him. The question was asked because I thought there might not be a transfer system in place. As I remember, basically we just bought Chris Lemire from Montreal, so I was curious as to why we wouldn't do that in this case.

My guess is that the Aviators thought no one would want Titus (?!?) and that they didn't want to keep paying him to ride the pine.

Guest Jeffery S.

Even if you bench a player, you have to let him train. I don't know the labour laws in Canada enough to say for sure, but I think if a guy is under contract he has the right to show up for work and do his job.

Now if they'd done that they'd have had him there outplaying the guy starting ahead of him training, creating doubts in other players' minds about what the coach was up to.

So just release the guy, I think it was a poor move on the Aviator's part, but it is better that than letting him be an excuse for divisive attitudes in the squad.

The real question I have is how can you release a guy when he is under contract. Do you have to pay some sort of severance as a compensation?

I'm not calling your intelligence into question, just stating the facts. Like I said if other teams know when you want to get rid of a player they'll wait until he's let go for nothing.

One question? Was Titus a disgruntled player? Seems to me he only became disgruntled after Edmonton released him.

My guess is that they didn't bench them because:

a. They would have to continue paying his wages; and/or,

b. They didn't want to have his "attitude" (giving his opinion to Ongaro) around.

There also may be clauses in his contract we are not aware of (ie: no trade, or whatever).

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Why would you get anything for Titus? Edmonton released him, they get squat.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but it sounded like you thought I didn't understand the situation... so I was just clarifying~ I know everyone around here knows I'm a genious anyway!

As for the trade issue. I'm not sure how any other team would know that the Aviators were preparing to cut Titus loose. The fans sure didn't know... and I doubt the Av's knew they were gonna do it 10 minutes before they did.

What I'm saying is that if they had benched Titus, other teams would have known he was on his way out. Had they started shopping Titus around then there would have been no bites because sooner or later Edmonton would have just have to cut him loose anyway as they wouldn't want to keep pying him.

It's a no win situation. As for the mentions of "no trade" clauses, I assume most contracts are of that nature given that nobody wants to be traded to a far away city when they make so little.

I don't know if there is much they can do. I'm not sure, they maybe could suspend him and send him home till they can move him. Its still early in the season and I don't think money is an issue quite yet, so I don't think that they'd still have to pay him would be a big issue.

But who knows what kind of contract he had. He could have taken less in order to come back to Edmonton, and wouldn't play elsewhere for that little. Or it could be the opposite and the Avs didn't think they could move a guy with a large contract. Then there are all kinds of weird clauses he could have, we'll never really know.

Who knows, just assuming they did the best they could under the circumstances may give you peace of mind.

Archived