Canadians abroad: June 4-10, 2004

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

Friday, June 4

8:00 PM on FSWC — United States/Canada: A-League

Charleston (Mark Watson) vs. Portland

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for June 4-10, 2004.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Jonathan de Guzman scores a beauty to lead Feyenoord to a 1-0 win over Willem II in the Dutch U19 Shell Cup today.

2004B-Guzman_SCALED_7.jpg

Guest Jeffery S.

Kenny Stamatopolous was in goal for Enkopings as they were held by Atviadbergs at home to a 1-1 draw. The team is starving for goals as Kenny keeps the defence looking good.

We don't usually post reports on Watson (for whatever reason), but since I listed his match above we should at least report on this one:

Charleston 1 Portland 2

Watson played 90 minutes, 1 shot on goal, 2 fouls --- one of which was in the box and gave Portland a PK to win the match in second-half stoppage time. The Charleston report calls it a "seemingly innocuous challenge". The reffing seems to have created a bit of an uproar overall, at least based on comments from people on usldiscussions.com who watched the game.

Saw highlights on the Fox Sports Report and it was the worst PK call I've ever seen. Watson was on the back of the guy, but got his head between the ball and the forward and headed it clear. If he was also tugging the jersey I didn't see it. My first reaction was that he called hand ball, but obviously there was none. This is in the 92nd minute as well. Complete mystery to me and the Battery was obviously incensed.

Portland's first goal looked well offside too, but we never got a conclusive replay.

cheers,

matthew

I saw that as well (after writing the post above) and I agree. a-league.com's Allison was in Charleston for this match and in her report wrote (based on the whole match, not this one play) that the referee shouldn't be allowed to work a USL game again!

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

A quick boo at soccernet indicates that Felix Brilliant has started for New England.

According to the MLSnet.com matchtracker, Brilliant has lobbed 4 crosses into the box. (70th minute)

Brilliant off in the 78th.

Crew win 2-1 at Gilette Stadium...

Guest Jeffery S.

Filling in Jordan's post on Norway, in Premier Olivier Occean came on m. 65 for Odd as they fell to Valerenga (an Oslo club) 1-0. Odd is in a 4-way tie for third, three back of the lead with 10 games gone. Very tight Norway is this year. Reda is nowhere to be seen for Sogndal, who drew 1-1 at Molde but are still last in the league. Must be injured, will have to write a mail to the club or fans.

In Div 1 Kojic played 90 and scored m. 63 for Haugesund in their 0-2 win over city rivals Vard Haugesund, while Pozniak did not play (and that after being denied some Canada caps these days). Friend came on 2nd half as Moss fell to Mandalskameratene (whew!) 5-1. Bernier played the whole match. Both sides are mid table but already quite a ways off the lead after 9 matches.

Guest Jeffery S.

In Norway Cup action tonight Olivier Occean played 90 plus ET for Odd and Milan Kojic the same for Haugesund (no Pozniak, wonder if he's injured) as Haugesund beat Odd Grenland 5-3.

Moss beat top flight Fredrikstad in the penalties after ending ET drawn 1-1. Bernier scored the Moss regular time goal m. 45, and both Bernier and Rob Friend put in their penalties for the win (5-4 from the spot).

Marco Reda did not play for Sogndal, who were knocked out by a lower division team. In fact many top flight Norway teams fell tonight in these single game knockouts.

In Iceland Akranes, Alen Marcina's team, lost to Rejkavic 1-0, don't know how to find game reports for Iceland.

Archived