top men's amateur clubs in canada?

bettermirror

i was wondering who the top amateur clubs are in canada?

i know the top clubs in the vancouver metro soccer league are Metro-Ford Wolves, Surrey United, and Burnaby Canadians (tho not having the best season) and you can throw in Gorge FC from Victoria.

if you count the PCSL and CPSL you can add Ottawa (well, last year) from CPSL (and others) as well as Victoria United (probably a lot the same as Gorge FC) and New Westminster Khalsa to that list.

It sounds like Sons of Italy (great name btw) are also a top club.

any others?

(wouldn't it be great if all these top clubs could get a stadium of 2000-7000 and have a league!)

There has been a Natonal Championship for amateur soccer teams in Canada since 1913:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/natchamps/club/index.asp?sub2=2

http://www.rsssf.com/usadave/cncc.html

A history can be found at:

http://www.saskatoonsoccer.com/2000Senior Nationals/page1b.html

The Inter-provincial senior men's amateur Club championship is now called the Challenge Trophy. For the Women (since 1982), it is called the Jubilee Trophy. The last championship was in Quebec City last October, a club from Alberta, I think the Calgary Callies, winning the men's and a club from Nova Scotia winning the women's. The sites above are not updated. A scan of the winners shows that the championships are pretty well spread among the 5 regions of Canada, so it would be hard to state which clubs are the best at any one time.

The CPSL is not officially an amateur league, the players there lose their college eligibility. They have their own cup competition, the so-called "Open Cup", which I think is also called the Government of Canada Cup, and it also involves some amateur clubs from Quebec and Ontario. The CPSL "Roger's Cup" is in fact just the league championship playoffs.

The PCSL, which includes American clubs, calls itself "semi-professional division two" soccer, so I think it's the same as CPSL. A PCSL team called "Croatia" did compete in the Challenge Cup in the mid-80's, but that is before the league became pro, and I don't think the league teams compete in it now. Can anyone clarify how college status is affected by playing in the PCSL?

Of course, a truly "Open Cup" in Canada would include all leagues and teams, including the winners of the amateur championship (which should remain separate). Some day, I hope.

Well, it's certainly retro, sort of like the Chinese Beneficence Society, or Croation Knights of Columbus! Obviously, Manitoba and Alberta still allow clearly ethnic names. What's the differnece between that and semi-ethnic names like Hellas or Celtic?

New Westminister Khalsa sounds interesting. Without knowing anything about them, I assume that they are (or at least were) a team for Canadians of Sikh extraction. A khalsa is a historic curved knife carried ceremonially in a belt in the middle east. It is on the flag of Oman. But, it is also the Sikh term for the religious initiation for a Sikh boy, so not only is it ethnic, it has strong religious connotations. I at first thought it also might be Arab, but the symbol is a pretty obscure one for most Arabs. An interesting way to mask the identity of the club, in terms that are pretty strong for a religious and racial group. I'm surprised that the PCSL allow them to use that name.

new westminster khalsa has had some top teams in bc for years and years at all levels. they don't have any top youth teams at the moment but did do when i was playing - now all the new west players go and play for either metro-ford (coquitlam), surrey, delta, burnaby, or vancouver. it's one of those situations where "they aren't good enough" but if all the players remained they'd have a great team!

Well, they were top of the tables in the PCSL last year.

I should correct the impression I left that they are a "Sikh" team. A look at the scorers tables show that their leading 3 or 4 scroers for the past few years all have latino or slavic names! Altho the management seems all Sikh, they appear to have rainbow teams. Alan Marcina played for them in 2002.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I think it's an awful name.

You , don't like that name !! How about the winner a couple of years ago " Halifax King Of Donair"

"Ahh ya, I'd like a super donair, and one with extra sauce..burp.."

Fast food socccer;)

Archived