Intercontinental Cup 2003 [R]

DJT

CA Boca Juniors vs. Milan AC

December 14, 2003 - 5:00 AM EST

It's so frustrating that FSWC never picks up this match (which I'd really like to see) while FSW always does (at least since FSWC started in 2001). Why pay for second-rate programming when you can get the better channel for free? (Well, there must be a reason, since I do it. [:P])

To make things worse, I don't even know how to write to FSWC to complain! They have no Web site, and the FSW site does not list contact information for FSWC. But I don't know if writing to them would make a difference, because when I did so last year their response was that the match would be on FSWC, but of course it wasn't! :(

P.S. If you haven't been following it, Boca's Carlos Tevez has been cleared to play in this game. He didn't want to play in the U20 WC because this meant more to him, but Argentina called him up and they have a rule that any player who refuses to play for the national team cannot play for his Argentinian club in the meantime. After a long legal process Tevez finally got what he wanted.

Guest Jeffery S.

And Boca takes it in the penalties! Tomassen scored for Milan m. 23 and Donnet replied for Boca in m. 28. No more scoring in reg time nor in ET, and Boca wins on penalties.

Pirlo missed, Schiavi scored

Rui Costa hit, Battaglia missed

Seedorf missed, Donnet scored

Costacurta blew it, Cascini for the winner

3-1 Boca from the spot and they win their third Intercontinental.

Very disappointed this was not on tv here in Spain either, I usually enjoy this match and it played at 11AM perfect time to sit in front of the tube.

Did you listen to the Argentinian Webcast? They were going nuts.

There wasn't an Italian Webcast for some reason. I would have understood a bit more if there had been.

Milan could have taken the overall lead in Intercontinental Cups won with 4, Italy could have tied Argentina for the country-wise lead with 8 and Europe could have tied South America with 21. Instead, Boca joins Milan, Real Madrid, Nacional and Peñarol with 3, Argentina moves 2 clear of Italy with 9 and South America moves 2 clear of Europe with 22.

Guest Jeffery S.

It didn't occur to me to listen to the Argie broadcast until too late, then they were in ET and I figured it was not worth it just for penalties.

Soccer Audio said that the RAI would broadcast online, I am surprised they did not. Surely some Italian station did, if not that is odd.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Soccer Audio said that the RAI would broadcast online, I am surprised they did not. Surely some Italian station did, if not that is odd.

I tried RAI at the beginning of the match and they were talking about it but didn't have play-by-play so I went to the Argentinian broadcast and didn't try RAI again. According to Soccer Audio there is no Milan Webcast for any of their games, so I didn't know where else to look.

I just noticed that this was Milan's third Intercontinental loss in a row. I'm sure they really wanted this one (brushing off the two Super Cups and Italian Cup they were/are up for, I recall them mentioning it in the same breath as the Champions League and Serie A).

OKAY ........should have read all posts Boca wins 3-1 0n penalties , LOOKS good on Europe Giants.......Hey wrong string but....... Logo for Canadian National Teams should be UNDERDOG.......he's here , he's there, he's everywhere.........WELL DONE U 2O'S.......K, had to reformat putie , missed the whole U 20 post thang......got get whatever minor thoughts I have in now!

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Very disappointed this was not on tv here in Spain either, I usually enjoy this match and it played at 11AM perfect time to sit in front of the tube.

Both teams played like crap in this game! Not sure what the problem was!? Tevez (or 'Carlitos' according to the back of his jersey) didn't start and when he FINALLY came in he looked pretty rusty to say the least.

Does anyone else think this game should be a home-and-home 2 legged affair? With two games there would be less travel involved and it wouldn't take anymore time out of either team's regular domestic schedule.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Tevez (or 'Carlitos' according to the back of his jersey) didn't start and when he FINALLY came in he looked pretty rusty to say the least.

Tevez was not 100% fit, that's why he didn't start and that's probably why he looked rusty.

quote:Does anyone else think this game should be a home-and-home 2 legged affair?
It used to be two legs up until 1979, then it was moved to Tokyo in 1980 and has been there ever since. There must have been a reason why this change was made. Perhaps it was because between 1971 and 1979 Ajax (twice), Bayern Munich, Liverpool and Nottingham Forest had each declined to play, and on one occasion Bayern Munich and Independiente could not agree on dates while on another occasion Liverpool and Boca Juniors declined to play each other --- meaning that only 2 of 9 Cups were played between the two continental champions. Maybe it was realized that there was no point to this Cup if this trend kept up, so they tried to revitalize it by moving it to Tokyo, which limited it to one neutral-site match and probably provided a new injection of money (factors that would make it more attractive to both teams)? I'm just guessing, but since the change there have been no declinations or any other such problems.

That was over 20 years ago, so perhaps the two legs could be revived today. But I kinda like it the way it is. I'm more interested in reviving the Club World Championship (don't bother amacpher, I know how you feel about this :D).

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Tevez was not 100% fit, that's why he didn't start and that's probably why he looked rusty.

True! I wasn't really critisizing him. Just meant to point out to the people who missed the game that they didn't miss too much, especially since the real Tevez didn't show up (if he did, Boca would have won w/o the need for penalties since he did have several chances that he often buries).

The breakdown in the two-legged affair from 1960 to 1979 had its seeds in the very beginning, because of different styles of play and acceptable behaviour by players and fans from the two continents. There were always some problems, but they were exacerbated by the Argentinian (and to some extent Uruguayan) teams of the late 60's and 70's, especialy Estudiantes of Argentina. One of the reasons was that a referee from the hosting continent guaranteed that each of the matches would be handled differently.

It was not always a total point two-legger. Until 1968, it was decided by points (two for a win, one for a draw), and there was a third playoff game if the points were tied, at the home of the second hoster in 1961 and 1964 (and in Uruguay in i967 when the second game was in Argentina.

It started to really go sour in 1967, when Celtic won 1-0 in Glasgow against Argentina's Racing Club, The 2-1 win by Racing at the return leg was described as a "bad-tempered farce" becuase of the bad feelings in Argentina surronding the battle between England and Argentina in the 1966 WC QF. Before the match started the Celtic keeper Ronnie Simpson was injured by an object thrown by the crowd, and could not play. The third match decider across the river in Montevideo was attended heavily by Argentinian fans who could not be controlled, and the Argentinan tackling was vicious and uncontrolled by the South American ref. The Celtic players lost their composure, especially when Basile of Racing went unpunished for spitting at Celtic's Lennox, and 4 Celtic players were sent off. Racing also had 2 men sent off, but Racing won the match (and series) 1-0. Celtic vowed never to play in Argentina or Uruguay again.

Manchester United contemplated not competing in 1968, when it turned into a total point affair, and wished they hadn't because Estudiantes, who also played in '69 and '70, reached new lows of violence. It got so bad that Ajax refused to play in '71, when Euro Cup runners-up Panhinakos lost to a little less vicious Nacional of Uruguay. Ajax did play and win in 1972 against Argentina's Independiente, despite Cruyff being victimized without penalty.

Because of the fears of injury to the star players by the brutality of the South American opponents and crowds, Euro Cup winners Ajax, Bayern Munich, Liverpool and Nottingham Forrest all refused to take part in the mid 70's and it wasn't held at all in 1975 and 1978. Athletico Madrid appeared as Euro Cup runners-up in 1974, and beat Indepndiente. 1973 was a single match (Independiente 1-Juventus 0) played in Rome.

Toyota decided to revive the competition in 1980, by turning it into a one-game match in Tokyo, attended mainly by its

workers as a company bonus and also for advertising reasons. This restored some lustre to the competition, although it has always been considered a second-rate affair by the Europeans. I think it should remain a single game (perhaps moved around the globe), as two-match series lack the event nature of a single match (witness the moribund Italian Cup cpmetition, which remains a unispiring two-leg final). I would like to see the other Confederations champions play-off for the right to a semi-final against the losing Confederation to make it a true world championship, as I don't think much of the future of any FIFA World Cup Championship tournament, even if the next 16 team edition planned in 2005 (Mexico and USA?) gets off the ground. Too unworkable in this day-and-age of fixture congestion.

Archived