What I want to do... Canada WYC Broadcast...

Natesta

Since it looks like you fine folks on the other side of the pond may not get this game, It's only right that someone who can watch the game does somthing to help out. I've decided I'm going to look into making an investment on a TV capture card (I think that is what they are called.)

So I can then record the game onto my laptop and then distribute it (likely using bittorrent.)

I'll need some help deciding exactly what I'll need to buy tonight, so if anyone has any experience please let me know. I'm running a laptop, though it's got good specs so it should meet any minimum requirements.

Basically if I can figure this out I'll record the game then start uploading it as soon as it's over. Meaning if all goes well you should have the game to watch by Friday evening your time.

Now all I need is the advice on how to get started!

Hopefully I can do this for yall.

You could also tape the match and then convert the VCR tape to digital format on your computer by using a video capture card. I think you can get one from Dixons and/or PC World but I warn you that it takes a huge amount of computer memory to capture the tape into video format.

You will likely need video editing software once you capture the video. You can get free software which isn't bad for editing the video from microsoft here. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/downloads/moviemaker2.asp

You will also need to use something like Real Player Producer to compress the video after capturing or editing in order to distribute the file (it will already be huge). You can get free software at http://www.realnetworks.com/products/producer/

And finally, you will need somewhere to host it for people to view it. (alternatively, you could burn it onto a cd to distribute)

I will be in Rome on Friday but I am back in London (assuming you live in London) on Saturday morning so I could help if need be with converting the tape to mpeg format over the weekend as I have the necessary computer editing facilities but then people would have to wait until Sunday or so to get video footage of the match.

Hey, great idea!

But if we're getting greedy, then what about the possibility of doing a live web feed of the TV broadcast! :D

I remember a while back there was a Leaf game on an afternoon work day (American holiday) and someone set up a web feed that was showing TSN, and the site address got passed around through friends. The quality was excellent! But it also wasn't being sent across the pond. :)

Anyway, your efforts are appreciated.

Hey

If you save it as a AVI, it will be absolutely massive (8 minutes was about 3.4 gigs). Although, that was raw... If you are doing some compression, then it wouldn't be so bad, but would still require some major harddrive space.

Have you decided on a capture card yet? If you would like help setting stuff up, let me know... I am sure we can figure it out.

We could set it up on bittorrent, as well as find some local (local to me) people to host it. I know a few friends that would join the cause. If we only use bittorrent, it is going to take days. So assuming you have a fast enough connection, I can setup a FTP account and give you access so that we can get this to everybody as fast as possible.

This all happening, assuming you are still interested in doing it! :)

Thanks, and let us know soon!

-Travis

Arrrg!

The guy at the computer shop was useless, he just looked at me with a blank stare.

Bad news guys, I don't think it's going to happen for tomorrows games. The shops are closed now, and unless I treked into London I couldn't get what I need.

SO.. with that said, I got some people excited so I promise you that should Canada win I will get myself all set up in advance to make sure you can watch the semi.

Sorry guys, what I can offer is a regular update thread if there is interest?

Archived