If Canada qualifies for Athens....reinforcements?

fza

If Canada eventually qualifies for the Olympics, they are allowed to reinforce the team with 3 pro players.

Who would you choose to give Canada a better chance of winning a medal?

I would go with:

-GK-Lars Hirschfeld

-DB-Jason DeVos

-FW-Tomasz Radzinski

It`s a tough decision, because Stalteri, De Rosario, etc could also be called up.....I want to know your choices!!

i'm a little undecided on this. On one hand you want your strongest available team for it.....but on the other, say we make it, and call up the over-agers.....that means that players who earned the qualification would lose a spot on the team....Persoanlly, this is what i would do. If one of the players (for example rob friend) got hurt and had to miss the olympics....i'd call up an overager such as radz or dero or whoever. thats my opinion on the matter.

Bigger clubs may not let their players go as the Olympics occurs when clubs train and play friendly games (ie. Radzinski couldn't get to the Gold Cup last year). And besides, the Olympics isn't as important for soccer than it is for other sports since there are different championships going on often. Face it, when a kid dreams of playing professionaly, they dream of the World Cup,clubs, and Continental Champinships, and not so much the Olympics.

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

Bigger clubs may not let their players go as the Olympics occurs when clubs train and play friendly games (ie. Radzinski couldn't get to the Gold Cup last year).

Radzinski didn´t make it to the Gold Cup because of a groin injury that made him miss the last 10 games of EPL and the beginning of pre-season.

The players would only miss a few weeks of training and probably the first games of the regular season, which aren`t that important (they aren`t finals).

I think the chance of winning an Olympic medal is very motivating for anyone. But you have a good point when you refer to soccer players not interested in the Olympics as they would be in playing a World Cup.

One thing that might motivate a player is the chance of being scouted by a big club. It wouldn't matter for Radzinski, but it could give someone like Lars a chance to show what he can do in front of lots of people. If he's not even playing reserve matches right now, he might even get released by his club. As far as Radz goes, it might be his last chance for a medal of any kind, but that wouldn't matter much to Everton.

quote:Originally posted by fza

If Canada eventually qualifies for the Olympics, they are allowed to reinforce the team with 3 pro players.

Who would you choose to give Canada a better chance of winning a medal?

I would go with:

-GK-Lars Hirschfeld

-DB-Jason DeVos

-FW-Tomasz Radzinski

Interesting thoughts here.

I would go with 3 players who are on the fringe of the national team, or who need exposure to get to a better team or to be noticed for the national team.

GK Stamatopoulos (although a case can be made for Hirschfeld)

D Marco Reda

F Dwayne De Rosario

It`s a tough decision, because Stalteri, De Rosario, etc could also be called up.....I want to know your choices!!

I'd be inclined to do what Italy did for Sydney & just send the regular U23 team. I think the rule adding the 3 over-aged players is silly, I don't think any of our older players invovled in WC qualifying at that time would be able to afford the time away from club for this tourney & the qualifiers. If we go with three veterans to add to the squad, I'd go with 3 A-league players who would love to play for their country, deserve to be given a chance but are rarely given a look, and would be in mid-season form when the Olympic roll around.

Of course, A-league players like Ali Ngon wouldn't even be "over-aged".

Archived